Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer Inventions…

Countryboy ยท 2007-12-09 23:42

Let's see some of the inventions you made for your truck or trailer. Here's mine. I bought some ammunition cans from the Army Surplus Store for $3.99 a piece. I then took 3 pieces of 1x1x1/8 angle iron and bolted them to the floor of the trailer to mount the cans. I then took 2 more pieces and made a "Z" shape to mount the top of the box to the rail. By chance, they were level with the top of the rail. I hadn't planned on that but it worked out perfectly. I've had these boxes on the trailer for about 6 years now and they work perfectly. I put a coat of "spray in bed liner" inside to keep the chains from making a racket and painted the outside black. These boxes are waterproof as I sealed all the seams with silicone before painting and use rubberbacked washers where the bolts come through. The lid had a rubber gasket by design. It's been through floods and mud without a drop of water in either can. There's probably atleast 50 lbs of chains, straps, tools, spraypaint etc. in either can. I can jump up and down on them and they don't budge a bit. Best $23 I ever spent.

Replies10
  1. #1Cat4202007-12-10 12:20

    No innovations from me, but I would like to see the rest of what's on the trailer

  2. #2bobcat ron2007-12-10 14:21

    Ditto.

  3. #3Countryboy2007-12-10 19:56

    These are all the pictures I have of it right now. 2003 Honda 450 S: 2" Highlifter lift kit Warn locker in the front 26" Highlifter Outlaw tires Moose metal floor boards Moose front and rear bumpers (front bumper is heavily modified) Moose tube handle bar guards K&N filter and pre-cleaner OxLite CV boot guards It's my little tractor...

  4. #4bobcat ron2007-12-10 20:12

    oooh, baby, gotta love those paddle tires!!!

  5. #5Cat4202007-12-10 20:19

    Looks like a nice setup. How well does it turn those tires in thick mud? Obviously Honda isn't known for the big power like the others with V-twins, but I'm sure it's much better on gas. I'll have to start an atv thread some time to see what some other guys are running, because I've seen a few people mention riding on here before.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-12-10 20:57

    Spinning all 4 is not a problem. I'll try to get some more pictures. This is an '02 model so it was out before most of those V-twins came along. This one has a solid drive shaft with a solid axle in the rear. I'm not a big fan of IFS in the rear because of side slope stability and durability. The crank is also inline with the driveshaft, unlike some of the weaker designs where a gearbox is used to make the connection. I absolutely detest drive belts on 4wheelers. This is also a manual shift. All that electric shift and such that came out around that time has been a real pain for alot of folks down the road. I mostly cut my own trails through the woods, hence the beefed-up front bumper, skidplates and solid axle in the rear. My 4wheeler has been asked to do alot and it has done nothing but perform time after time. It's been rode hard but put up dry every single time. I'll also try to get some pictures of my little trailer I pull behind. I've modified it to last too.

  7. #7Cat4202007-12-10 21:31

    I started another thread here , so I don't disrupt this one any more than has already been done

  8. #8Countryboy2007-12-10 21:44

    When I get some more pictures I'll post them there then. :drinkup Alright, we're officially back on topic. Let's see some of those inventions you've made for your truck or trailer. Doesn't matter what, if you made it then post it up.

  9. #9abobb2007-12-11 02:23

    Dang man.. don't you have something backward there. The load on the trailer is bigger than that thing you've got pulling it!!!!

  10. #10Countryboy2007-12-11 02:50

    I here ya talkin smack... :drinkup My little Nissan be havin to work to earn its keep. And yes, my 4wheeler will pull that trailer without even grunting. It'll pull the truck too, just takes a second to get it moving. OK, INVENTIONS.....DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY??? :bouncegri Mental Note: be careful of distracting objects in the background of your pictures...