Looks almost home-made but also looks cool, not sure how useful it would be though...:beatsme http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/for/1378086483.html
I do believe that's the craziest looking thing I've ever seen! I wish there were better pics of it.
I understand back in the day tractor/grader conversions were fairly common. Speedway was a popular brand. I've seen farmalls, 8Ns, and an unknown model Allis set up this way. Never a Case though. Someone might have graphed on the Case to a grader conversion for a different model tractor? Just guessing.
I Think That Is Freaking Weird And Cool All At Once. Pretty Innovative If You Didn't Have The Money To Buy A Grader.
I've seen 2 different tractor graders like that over the summer. One was an Allis, with all manual blade controls, at a tractor a buddy and I pulled at. The other one was a Ford 9n that hydraulic controls on it. Both were in great shape, and after using the Allis for a while, I would imagine your arms would make Popeye jealous.
I've seen a couple of these recently. A definite step up from the old horse drawn road patrol we used to pull behind the tractor at the in-laws farm.
Here is one that is a McCormick Deering 10-20 with an Austin grader. It is all an original factory conversion job.
Pretty sure Huber still makes their Maintainer, which in a sense was a tractor with a blade hung underneath. Was quite popular at one time from what I have been told.
Hi. Just wondering how you was able to identfy that the grader on this I-20 is an Austin grader? I purchased one last night night that is almost identical to the one in your pictures. Cab is a little different. Anyways, mine has a tag on the left beam above the blade, but except for a few numbers there isn't anything that I can find that says what brand it is. I found on some castings a G stamped into it. Hoping to find out what brand it is plus get it home. Thanks in advance.
Is yours maybe an Adams motor grader?
The antique tractor magazine published by Ford collectors had a very good article several years ago. I remember it was the American Road Maintainer. The manufacturer was careful to make the distinction of it's not being a grader. An example is in Cavendish VT made from a Farmall M. Others I've seen were made using smaller tractors. The one in Cavendish seized a piston. The connecting rod was cut off, the journal was wrapped with a leather belt, and a cut tin can was wrapped around it held in place with a few hose clamps. On three cylinders they kept using it. My sons think I'm nuts to want to fabricate an under slung blade for a large 4x4 backhoe.
I have find a article where are photos those types of graders published: http://nationalihcollectors.com/PDF/TractorGraders.pdf
Very interesting article Graderfan, I particularly liked this statement. "Austin-International Motor Graders can be supplied with straight front wheels if anyone insists upon having them, but the leaning wheels are worth so much more than their additional cost that is hard to see how anyone would consider for a minute being without them." Bit different to the modern day sales spiel.