I now have 3 tow rigs and 5 or 6 trailers. 2 rigs have 6 pin plug ends and one only has a 4 flat. 2 trailers have 6 pin 2 have 4 flat and 2 have the RV 7. I got my first trailer with a 7 RV this summer and i was going to switch it to a 6 pin i have a adapter but i bought another trailer with a RV plug. I would like to make things a little simpler what would you do is the RV plug that much better?
I don't know if one is 'better' than the other.... personally I'd put everything to 7flat... but only because most of my stuff is already We have problems with all of em from time to time... although I generally see bigger wires in the 7round plugs when I'm fixing them... It does seem easier to get the 7flats around here. Now at work it's a different story... kenworth has 7round lg service truck is 7flat pup trailer 7round tiltbed 7round 14k dump trailer 7flat 22k dump trailer 7flat 3500 flatbed 7flat+4round 5500 flatbed 7flat+4round small service truck 4round a bunch of other tow vehicles with 4round,5round,etc... there's also a few trailers I forgot to list that have various plugs on em'
I have been changing over to the RV plug system. Many of the new P/U's have come with them since 2000 or so. They are the standard for the industry now. Still keep an adaptor for the trailers with good 6 pin plugs.
I think the round pin provides a higher current connector, but with LED lights, there isn't that much current any more, I've pretty much changed over to the RV style plug. even put one on the Gator with a brake controller so I can test everything without needing the truck. Now if only I could get a gooseneck plate to sit nicely in the back of the bed...