Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

When it absolutely positively has to be pintle…

crane operator · 2019-11-04 21:46

But you better have stock in a tire company. On 16.5's no less. I don't know what they were hauling, I'm guessing dozer or track loader, but I don't know you would keep the tires on it. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/191114/item/FJ9796/1999-Butler-Trailers-Equip._Trailer-Kansas

Replies33
  1. #1Junkyard2019-11-04 22:56

    Man that thing would scrub terrible!

  2. #2petepilot2019-11-04 22:57

    better have the power unit heavier than the loaded trlr.if you want to git it around a corner

  3. #3DMiller2019-11-05 07:59

    I can see that side wall rolling tires completely off in hard turns with any weight on it, what were they thinking???

  4. #4kshansen2019-11-05 08:52

    I wouldn't want to have that coming from the other direction on a rainy day in West Virginia! If it was loaded not sure the tow vehicle would be able to make the curve!

  5. #5doublewide2019-11-05 10:55

    Can you even get a 16.5" trailer tire in load range G or H? Only thing I've been able to find is load range E in light truck tires.....

  6. #6fast_st2019-11-05 11:28

    the obvious answer is Kansas

  7. #7kshansen2019-11-05 15:18

    Yea, but even in Kansas one must need to turn around once you get to the end of the trip. But I guess if you're smart you could turn around then reload to come home!

  8. #8lumberjack2019-11-05 15:42

    I wanna get a picture of it behind my F150, towing a 320.

  9. #9fast_st2019-11-05 16:36

    Maybe it has some steering tag axles, the spacing seems weird

  10. #10Mother Deuce2019-11-05 17:47

    It looks nearly pristine. It was not used much.

  11. #11Tags2019-11-05 18:19

    It probably wasn’t used much because once they brought it into the yard to park it they couldn’t turn it around without all the tires popping off the beads....

  12. #12DMiller2019-11-05 19:04

    By what I can make out the very front seems to be alone as if added in as well the absolute rear. Have seen this set up with Three axles with equalizers but the five is unmistakably a BIG error in judgement. Cut away the Front and absolute Rear, get the 16.5s OFF this go to 16s trailer rated G Series or something at least as severe duty. Use as was intended for Median loads and likely be a Nice Little Trailer. The Komatsu sitting well out of the Frontal shot photo gives an idea what was being towed On this. Was probably lifting the tow vehicle Off the ground when loading and then crushing it into the dirt once tried for tongue weight, again BAD Decisions made.

  13. #13Truck Shop2019-11-05 20:46

    That front axle lifts slightly that's why it's air ride on the front only, you can see the lift bag in the one photo. The worst part is all the side loading of the second and fifth axle. Set-ups like that don't take long before the wheel seals start leaking if not set at zero end play on the wheel bearings.

  14. #14hvy 1ton2019-11-05 22:19

    Obligatory post about Kansas being the 7th flattest state and every state being flatter than a pancake.

  15. #15crane operator2019-11-05 23:35

    At least you're not sensitive about it.

  16. #16Ronsii2019-11-05 23:46

    I was gonna make a kansas joke... but seeing as you reside there I'll hold my tongue...

  17. #1792U 34062019-11-06 07:56

    What in the crystal meth is that thing?

  18. #18fast_st2019-11-06 08:05

    Are the raised ribs to keep your dozer from sliding off the side a second time? Would think a couple inboard stake pockets with removable rails would be better, I have a feeling it started out as a triple axle.

  19. #19Crummy2019-11-06 08:40

    I'm scratching my head on how a guy would get any weight on without burying those front couple of little 10k axles? I wonder what the tare is, looks heavy.

  20. #20crane operator2019-11-06 09:02

    From studying the pictures, the front axle is a air up air down, lift axle like truck shop mentioned (that will help with turning ). The next four axles are two pairs of two axles. Spring suspension with a shared center pivot. I think that's what gives it the odd spacing look. You can about hear the guy ordering it -"I don't care that no one else builds a trailer that way, its what I want!" And yes, the angle irons are to keep tracked stuff from sliding off.

  21. #21doublewide2019-11-06 10:46

    I'd say a specific purpose built trailer. Prolly for one job then sell it off.

  22. #2292U 34062019-11-06 10:57

    Wonder if you can even legally pull that that thing without special permits?

  23. #23fast_st2019-11-06 11:16

    sell it before you have to turn it around?

  24. #24lumberjack2019-11-06 13:25

    What kinda permits? It doesn't appear to be oversized.

  25. #25RZucker2019-11-06 18:44

    Somebody wanted to haul a D-8 behind his F450.

  26. #26Ronsii2019-11-06 19:20

    Probably drill rig and room for all the tanks and extras in front.

  27. #27CM19952019-11-06 19:40

    I bet $20 that some government agency spec'd it and used tax dollars to pay for that abomination.

  28. #28Ronsii2019-11-06 19:43

    Hey!!!!, maybe it's one of those candid camera type things and they're just waiting to see who buys it at the auction???? if you could get it cheap enough the axle parts might be worth it to someone... at least scrap

  29. #2992U 34062019-11-06 20:11

    I don't know how things work in the US but for commercial use up here certain axle configurations aren't allowed. Didn't know if you needed any kind of special approval to tow such an oddball trailer.

  30. #30suladas2019-11-10 15:54

    Not even legal in many places as they don't recongize more then 3 axles together. Just makes no sense, you can get 3 axles with more weight then those 5. I wouldn't want to try and pull it, my 3 axle tag doesn't like to turn. Although those light tires have pretty weak sidewalls to flex...

  31. #31Mother Deuce2019-11-10 16:00

    Just looking at it roughly, it looks like you could probably... never mind. Lost my mind for a second.

  32. #32_Weldman_2019-11-10 20:31

    How about cut three axles off sell them and recover most your money back. Keep the tires for spare though.

  33. #33suladas2019-11-11 18:54

    At first I thought it was electric brakes so it would be to some benefit, but who wants a 10k air brake axle, absolutely useless. It costs more to do the brakes on them then the 20k-22k axles. Another thought with the 5 axles is, if you loaded something heavy like what that trailer would be capable of, say 40k lbs, you have to block up the back of that trailer to have any hope of those back tires not blowing out. I notice on a tri axle how badly the very rear axle tires can squash loading with much heavier tires, never mind those light tires.