I just bought an equipment trailer and will need to get the correct rigging chains. My biggest piece is a 455G at about 19k lbs. The trailer is wood deck with D-rings down both sides. I assume I will need 2 fastening points on each side and chain with ratchet system? Any advice on the best method? Thanks, Tom
Just to clarify: I see they have ratchet binders and lever binders which say 9200lbs each. Assume 3/8" chain would work?
Transport chain must be grade 70 or higher. All the chain ratings added up need to equal 1/2 the weight of the machine. There are resources out there to tell you which chain and how many. I just have time to search right now.
Thanks. I was looking at the grade 70 3/8" chain which is rated at 6600lbs each. I figured 4 mount points which equals over 100% of the equipment weight.
Yes, Grade 70, 3/8" chain is the right choice & going with 4 points is good. Ratcheting binders are the best if you have them.
If you are using ratchet binders, and hooking the chain single (one end to a d-ring, the other to the machine), that 6600 is reduced by half. Don't ask me why, I just know that's what it says. Two chains in front, two in the back will be what you need. Also, you need to make sure the loader bucket is tied down as well. Here are the FMCSA rules. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/cargo-securement-rules
But you also get to reduce the "load" by 1/2, so it all kind of works out. If the sum of your chain/ binder capacity equals or is greater than the equipment weight, you are good to go. When you run the chain from trailer, through the machine and back to the trailer in a different spot, you have essentially made a "basket" in the chain, doubling its capacity. (Basket is a rigging term- you are really just doubling the chain). I hate gov't speak, it tends to make simple things complicated. From the link that shimmy1 posted: Minimum Working Load Limit for Cargo Securement Devices and Systems The aggregate working load limit of any securement system used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of: One-half the working load limit of each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle to an attachment point on an article of cargo; and The working load limit for each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle, through, over or around the cargo and then attaches to another anchor point on the vehicle.
Last crawler I tied down(My Own) used 3/8" chains and ratchet binders, cross laced track rail shoe to opposite side trailer rail, four chains front(two a side) and four to rear, one across loader arms. 23000lbs.
Thanks for that explanation of the 1/2 rules. Sometimes a picture is the easiest explanation, haven't found one yet though. I've never seen a regulation that only G70 chain is allowed. The chain must be marked, or it counts as G30, which has a much lower WLL. I don't think I've ever seen a chain marked G43, only the hooks. A G70 chain that isn't stamped will get a trucker in trouble, right?
Yes you are correct. Nothing less than a G70 chain. Also I had heard, but haven't confirmed it yet. 5/16 G70 chain wasn’t recognized anymore for 2019.
Thanks for all the advice. Tom