Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer towing…equipment

TIREDIRON ยท 2009-12-17 19:48

Does anyone know the proper way to tie down a excavator under 5 ton. I know you need for 4 seperate tie downs, but do you need to tie down bucket ? We recieved a ticket because it wasn't tied down. unhappy in ny..

Replies2
  1. #190plow2009-12-17 20:37

    I thought you were supposed to and I guess you are if they gave you a ticket for it. But judging by whats happened to others if you tie down the bucket they'll just find something else... its all about the money. -Eric

  2. #2Orchard Ex2009-12-17 22:38

    Here's a link to the FMCSA rules. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm Section 393.130 covers moving heavy equipment. That's where it calls for the 4 tiedowns and tiedowns over accessory equipment. However in that section it also says: "Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) may also be secured in accordance with the provisions of this section, with & sect;393.128, or in accordance with the provisions of & sect; & sect;393.100 through 393.114." Those sections don't call for the same methods. It leaves a lot to interpretation in my mind. I'm not sure if your state regs call for more than the FMCSA does so you need to check that too.