hi all, I’m in the process of looking for a new gooseneck trailer to transport a backhoe to and from a property I own and maybe some small jobs on occasion. What’s confusing to me is does the weight on the ball subtract trailer load. I’m looking at two trailers both made by big Tex. On is a 22gn and the othe 25gn. I’ve attached a drawing of the axle weights and the tow vehicle if someone can have any info if the 22gn would be enough trailer.
Your gvwr is total weight of trailer and load so if your trailer has a 25000 lbs gvwr and the trailer weight empty is 6000lbs then you can only put 19000lbs on the trailer 25000 lbs is the only real option I would think cause the trailer is going to weigh close to 7000 lbs depending on your backhoe you could be very close to over weight
Something that doesn’t make sense to me, on my truck it list the front axle at 7,000 and rear at 13,500 but the gvwr at 18,750.
What kind of truck is it
Ram 5500
Your truck is only rated for 18750 by the manufacturer What I don't know is if that includes a trailer some states say it does some say it doesn't But you will be in cdl weight with that setup
When I bought the truck supposedly the tow rating was 27,000. The gross combined weight rating was 37,800 or so. But I’m not sure how that’s calculated. If it’s actual weight or combine gvw. I understand this needs class a license. I wouldn’t dear drive it without everything needed. I was always told that dot goes by axle weights and if that’s the case it think the 22gn trailer would work as it has 2 10k axles and the truck has 13500 so that would be a 33500 pound trailer.
True but I go back to my first post that trailer will only work if the machine and trailer weight combined is 22000lbs or depending on your backhoe you might end up over weight I am not saying it's not doable it just starts to get tight on weight I know a lot of guys that haul a hoe on this type of setup and they are always pushing weight limits with just the backhoe thats why all our rigs are full trucks you don't have weight problems and you can stop when it matters
Yes the weight of the trailer and machine will be over the 22gn’s gvw. The next size up is the 25gn and I’ll be 110 pounds under its max. If I was gonna use it commercially I would certainly look for a bigger rig. This is gonna be personal use 99 percent of the time. I weighed the machine today at 17940 I never thought it was that heavy. So my last question if I get stopped by dot how will they check if I’m in compliance weight wise? Weight axle weights?
If they stop you it varies so much but they can weigh you with portables and can check for Axel weight More than likely you will have close to 20000 on your tow vehicle axles and that is over your gvwr If your trailer is short you won't be able to move your load around much to adjust the Axel load 110lbs leaves no room so just figure your over eight cause a tank of fuel or mud in the bucket will make that difference Also dot doesn't care commercial or personal they will nail you everything if they catch you
The whole trailer would weight slightly under 26,000 and 30 feet long with 2 12,000 pound axles there’s no way I would get 20,000 on the trucks axle.
If I read this correctly your truck GVW ( gross vehicle weight rating ) is 18,750. The lighter trailer has a GVW of 23,900. With two 10,000 Lb axles that is putting 3900 Lb on the truck. The trailer neck is rated for more, maybe 5500 Lb, The CGVW ( combined gross vehicle weight rating ) is 42,650 by axles. The truck manufacturer cut it back to 37,800 or so. Your truck weight was also cut back from axle weights because of other considerations like the frame and brakes. Weigh the truck 10,000? and weigh the trailer 6,000 Lb? With a 37,800 CGVWR your would be able to carry 21,800 so long as you can park it in the correct place. Yes they weigh axles. My neighbor bought a Big Tex and is better than my brand X I haul a 680 on. Ask them or call the home office. I would thank they would do back flips if you are buying a trailer. Just do not want the axles too far back on the trailer.
If the trailer gvwr is 25000 and the trailer weight is 6000 wouldn't the trailer only e able to carry 19000 regardless of anything else ? If I am wrong I don't see were
I have an older 25900 Big Tex 24 foot deck and 5 foot beavertail and it weighs just a little over 7300 pounds. This includes the spare and a 16,500 Warn winch with two batteries. I would guess a factory one would weigh around 6800 pounds. It should say on their website.
The truck is carrying some of the weight. If the trailer weighs 6000# total hanging from a scale, +/- 1/3 of that will be in the box of the truck when it's hooked up. Moving the load forward or back puts more weight on the truck or trailer axles.
Looking at Ram's towing chart for the 5500 Cab & Chassis models show that GVWR is not tied to the GCWR. So, Ram says it depends on what engine/transmission/rear axle gear ratio you have as far as what your max trailer capacity can be. For example: Ram 5500 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Automatic 4x2 has three choices for rear end ratio: 4.10 ratio has a 26,000 GCWR 4.44 ratio has a 26,000 GCWR, 4.88 ratio has a 38,500 GCWR No, those are not typos. The 4.10 ratio and 4.44 ratio have the same GCVW. The 4.88 ratio is what gives the 5500 series it's big towing capacity. Ford and Chevy are the same way. For this chassis configuration, all three ratios had the same GVWR. The only part of the truck that determines towing capacity was the rear end ratio according to RAM. So, what chassis configuration do you have and what rear end ratio is in it? As for the DOT, I don't know but I would suspect they weigh axles and look for correct loading per axle not to exceed listed capacities.
I was thinking you meant the trucks rear axle would have 20k on it. The machine is 17940 the remainder is the trailer.
So I guess the only thing that matters is what the state police say. If the truck and trailer axles are within spec I should be good.
I thank so as long as you are under your combined gross vehicle weight, no individual axle is loaded over it's rating or the tires on it. AzIron is correct but I never saw one disconnected to check that. He may still have wiggle room anyway at 17940 but we don't know what the truck weighs.
The truck weight is 8500+2500 bed.
I just don’t see how dot police can know tow ratings and gcwr from every vehicle. My truck only lists it’s gvw and axle weights and the same on the trailer.
Some DOT officers are smart. In the old days ( pre computer ) one stated you left early. No Sir. Well you are over weight and length so you cannot leave until 30 minutes after sunrise. You have traveled X amount of miles in X amount of time and the speed limit is 55. So either you left early and get a ticket for that or you get a speeding ticket that goes on your record. Which is it? Well yes I did leave early. He had a pencil and there was not much speeding with an old Mack over 120,000 pounds. Today they all have computers that do a whole lot of the thanking for them. If you ever meet one that has a computer, knows the rules and trucks you could be in trouble. Aside from all that I believe they have to go by posted weights on the vehicles. As long as you are not over combined GVWR rating, no axle is over its rating, the trailer does not have P rated tires lowering the axle rating to 7,000 Lbs you should be good. The actual weight on the tongue can be a gray area but I do not thank you can be required to disconnect a loaded trailer. Some do their job to protect and serve but other are just butts. You need to study the rules and hold your ground sometimes. fmcsa.gov educate your self. If one comes up with something that sounds off the wall ask them to show that to you. Know your business and mind your manors usually gets a green.
Thank you tenwheeler I’m sure I’ll learn some more once I take the class a license test. I started studying.
and all rules are subject to the interpretation of the officer. clean trucks and tight chains are the some of the best dot headache prevention there is both are really noticeable when they are sub par. they can always find something to right a ticket for so for the love of god dont **** them off. one driver i had pulled there string one day thats the only truck i know of that got put on scales outside a checkpoint it got so much worse that truck ended up with air leaks soap couldnt find and apparently all the brakes were out of adjustment. most of the time they give you the once over in about 5 minutes or less and if your lights and everything work they dont go to much farther unless you look way overweight or something
My truck and soon to be trailer are new and the chains will be to. But something about seeing a backhoe being towed with a smaller truck just stands out to me. I doubt I’ll need to go on the highway maybe a short distance if any. Just the cab on the machine makes it look bigger than it is.
Here’s the truck and backhoe this trailer isn’t road worthy.
That is nothing! Look at td25c's post in "How to load a machine without picking up the back of the truck". The 6100D, 4240, 680CK, or your hoe we haul around are nothing in comparison. As long as your axle weights and tie downs are proper you should be good. Good Luck and Cheers
It's a lot simpler then people are making it. Take the weight the trailer is rated for 26000- then minus what the trailer weights guessing about 7,000, that is what the trailer will haul. Then make sure your truck is capable of towing that, and the pin weight needed. The 5500 will handle that no problem. I've hauled 18,000lb mini ex on my gooseneck with 3500 srw, it tows fine. In many cases these goosenecks are incredibly overbuilt. Many of the 2-10ks are exactly the same as 3-10ks. DOT varies, but generally as long as you are under axle and tire weights, you're fine. One FYI 12k axles are very expensive to buy and maintain compared to 10k's. Depending on use, I would consider going to 3 10k's. Cheaper to buy, and would cost about same to maintain if you paid someone factoring extra labour for extra axle. But gives you a lot more capacity, and considering the 5500 will tow 30k, gives you more room if you need to haul something heavier.
Manufacturer's GTWR is if trailer, and load were on the scale without a truck. That means tongue jacked up on the scale. Dodge's GCWR is everything on the scale. If no GTWR on the trailer nameplate, figure the lesser of tire capacity, or axle capacity, plus tongue weight. That isn't saying the trailer frame can handle that much. Make very sure tongue, (hitch weight) doesn't exceed the trailer manufacturer's , or truck manufacturer's limit. Everybody has a different opinion, Do you register the truck for combined weight, or truck weight?
The truck is registered just with its gvw. And the vin tag only has gvw and axle weights
Your state may vary, but in PA You have a Truck Registration and you have to add a COMBO Registration on it. I had a combo on my 3500 SRW and my 4700 International.
Here are my thoughts. I use a 10 ton goose neck trailer here and there. Often times when loaded heavy, I hear popping coming from the trailer. I use an F550 flat bed to pull it. It is easy to over load the goose neck ball. I broke almost every welded connection on the bed that holds the trailer ball, which is a piece of c channel and a plate. It was hard to notice until weight was on the trailer and it was inspected. This same piece of c channel holds the safety chains also. It is scary to think about that load coming loose at highway speeds. So keep an eye on it and when you hear popping and creaking beware of the signs of things breaking. I have also broken out a rear hitch receiver on the same truck with a bumper trailer. I have snapped a 10k military style pintle hook in half on that truck. I see most using an F700 style truck with a nice commerical pintle type trailer for that size machine. If you are going to use that type of rig, I would suggest beefing up the ball area on the bed. I dont believe I would be afraid of it. Just realize that you are pulling something that is much heavier than the truck and the center of gravity is sitting high above the tires. It rides different than a low boy and can wreck you easy. Take your time driving and get used to long stopping distances. Resist the urge to choke up on vehicles in front of you when you are moving in traffic. Myself I almost ate the rear end of a car starting off at a red light got up to 25 mph and they locked it down in front of me. I had 3 or 4 truck and trailer lengths spacing and I still almost ate the cars bumper, that happened not long ago and I feel that I drive extra careful. But it is always some ass coming to a complete stop in half the time you can.