Can these size machines be trailered by a 3/4 ton truck w/ a trailer? I believe that w/ a loader & backhoe that the 530 is under 10K lbs. & that the 580CK is under 11K lbs. Thinking that a 14K trailer can handle a 11K payload. BTW, I do not have a 530 or 580, but am looking for one. When I find one, it will stay on my property, but, I will need to get it home. MMH
Well remember that ontop of the 10-12k lb TLB, you also have the weight of the trailer. So plan about 15k towing weight. Thats a lot of weight for a 3/4 ton truck. I would be looking for a 1ton plus myself.
I would find a hauler, like s1120 said a 3/4 truck is not enough with the machine weight plus the trailer, it's safer to have it hauled if your unsure of your trailer/truck hitch reciever/truck, alway's cheaper and safer for the one time move.
MMH, A HD 3/4 ton will haul either a 530 or the original 580CK. I have hauled my 580B with my 2011 F150 with max tow, but would not want to go far with it. The trailer setup is the key, a fifth wheel works better if the truck is smaller. I worked for a plumbing company years ago and we had 580Cs and Ds at the time. All of our trucks were either 3/4 or 1 tons with pintles on the back, electric brakes on the trailers. HTH, Dave
I know that it's on the ragged edge. a gooseneck/5th wheel would definitely be better than a bumper pull. Even then, it would be past the GCWR for a 3/4 ton, but within both GAWRs and the tire ratings. I was thinking that a 580B would be the limit as a 580 C/D get allot heavier. dwloop, how did you do w/ a 580C on a pintled 3/4 ton?
Brought home a 580ck with a 3/4 ton and 5th wheel about a month ago. Truck pulled just fine and it was really quite an interesting ride unloading with those soft (ok dead) brakes on the 580ck...
I'd run that behind my '11 f-350 diesel, went across the scales yesterday at 22,320 pounds, another K till I hit gcvwr... Make sure you have a top notch brake controller, and good brakes on the trailer.
MMH, we need a little more information. How is the backhoe set up? 4x4, cab, extenda-hoe, 4n1 front bucket etc - this all adds weight. What kind of trailer will you be using? Bumper pull or gooseneck? As others have mentioned a gooseneck will pull this load better. You said you will pulling it with a 3/4 ton truck. What kind of 3/4 ton will you be using? There are differences in age of the truck and manufacturer that can make quite a difference in the trucks ability to handle the load. GVW's and GCWR's are usually higher on the newer trucks. Most importantly, what is your experience with moving equipment? Not asking this to be snippy, but it makes a difference if you pulled this type of weight on this type of truck before. IMO (without knowing anything more) I would be cautious about pulling that load and would head the advice already given to have someone deliver it to you.
I hear ya, I had my 580E delivered about a month ago with no brakes. Getting it on the trailer was easy, getting it off was a bit more entertaining.
If you have to ask you are not experienced enough to haul it. Have someone do it for you. Better than twisting a frame or having a wreck. Another idea is take the hoe and front bucket off and haul that separately. That will get it down around 6-7 k which is fine for a 3/4 ton truck. Hoe comes off in ten minutes
I have a 530CK that I haul with an older F-350 single rear wheel. The Ford is a 7.3 diesel/5 speed. What 3/4 ton make is yours?? Is it the heavy duty model?? Easiest way to check is to look at the hubs on the rear axle. If the hubs are flat, it is a light duty model. If the hubs stick out 3" or so from the rim, it is the heavy duty model. Is yours an auto trans?? If so, you will need a big tranny cooler. My break down goes like this: P/U: 6300 lb 23' gooseneck trailer: 6400 lb (3, 7000lb axles) 530CK: guessing about 12K lbs That's a lot of weight going down the road! Everything is near maxed out, and my P/U's GVWR is exceeded. I have 16 yrs experience as a truck driver and 1.5 million safe miles. Where in PA are you?? If you are in the mountainous area, that is a lot of weight to get stopped. You can't be in a hurry. Sometimes I get over a hill in 2nd gear. Whatever gear you need to get over the hill you need to go down the other side in the same gear. PS. My 530CK will be up for sale in the spring, but hauling it from WY to PA will kill most any P/U.
FYI: The original 580 CK, shuttle shift weighs 8550 lbs without either of its buckets. The 'B' model shuttle w/ ROPS comes in at around 9900 lbs IIRC (My spec sheets are at home). Not something you want to be towing with your average Toy Tundra... With a nicely equiped 3/4 HD truck with the appropriate trailer setup it is doable, with the appropriate driver and caution . HTH Dave
I agree that is a lot of weight for a 3/4 ton. I personally wouldn't do it because it would be overweight and wouldn't want to pay the possible fine. All you guys pulling backhoes with pickup trucks, did you get your CDL Class A license with the pickup truck and 5th wheel trailer? The trailer weight being over 10K is CDL Class A.
I don't know for sure but I think a class A is for over 26K. No, I got my class A with a 53' reefer. Now I pull rocky mountain doubles at 117K
I have a class a from pulling backhoes w/ a pete, but you still need one to pull a skidloader and trailer over 10k with a pickup.
I agree. Federal law states any vehicle with a trailer weight over 10K requires CDL Class A. Is was curious if the truck & trailer is a gooseneck then do you get a 5th wheel endorsement.
I just had that little run in with DOT, and here in Fl., 26K requires CDL, but there is an ag exemption, within the state and within 150 miles from home involved in an agricultural endeavor, CDL req is waived. I had 580C on a tandem dual gooseneck on the back of my 350 dually. I had just purchased the hoe, and was on my way home. He said he could write me a ticket for no CDL, but the judge would probably through it out.
I didnt, I used a tandem dump and a pup trailer but a friend of mine who worked for a ag-tractor dealer did. He told me he used his 1 ton dually service truck and a trailer. I laughed at him till he showed me his Class A CDL and it looked the same as mine. I dont know if he even knows how to drive a big rig. So yes I know it can be done.
Yes, You can pull a 580 with a 3/4 ton pickup. It will happen. Yes, If Mr. Smokey Bear stops ya or you decide not to jump port, You will also need a CDL, unless you're a 'farmer', IIRC. CDL is 26k solo+ or 10k tandem+ IIRC. That's a lot of weight though to be pulling a 3/4 ton. There's some places by where I'm at that even my 3/4 ton won't even move a mini-hoe at. Why bother tearin up your pickup when you've got somethin heavier for the job?
I used to move a 580B with a 3/4 ton PU years ago but it's pretty sketchy. Just pay to have it moved.