Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailering multiple skid steer attachments

dkk990 · 2014-09-15 22:08

I just recently purchased a Bobcat S185 to help me diversify my landscape business. The purchase included a standard tooth bucket, multi-purpose bucket, and a trencher. I have a few jobs coming up that will require the trencher and a bucket to do backfilling/grading. I was hoping some of you older veterans could help me figure out how to solve the problem of how to trailer multiple attachments at the same time. I have a F250 and 14ft dump trailer that I use to transport the loader and any material to or from jobsites. The problem I’m faced with is how to get one attachment loaded in the trailer and then hook up to the 2nd attachment without flipping the loader on the trailer ramps since there is no weight on the arms to hold the machine down. I’d appreciate any good advice and personal experiences. At the moment I’m at a loss for how I will be able to get the machine and all the attachments that I need to my jobsites.

Replies23
  1. #1KSSS2014-09-15 22:19

    I have a GMC 5500 Crew Cab with an 11' fla bed which also has a tool box and fuel tank on it, leaving me about 8' of flatbed. We can chain several attachments on to the flat bed combined with a 20' equipment trailer we have a decent amount of room. I also have a 35' gooseneck that I like to use when I need to move a lot of attachments. When I started out I had a dump trailer, and quickly bought a dump truck, they just are not practical, especially with the high cost of fuel, there are just too many mobilizations involved to get equipment where it needs to be. Considering what you have now, I would put a flat bed on your F250 assuming it is a long bed.

  2. #2lumberjack2014-09-15 22:32

    I use a 28' gooseneck to move my CTL, usually. It has a neck on the deck as well. I can put the bucket, grapple, and forks on the neck, if required. That leaves the 28' of deck open, which will fit the ctl and excavator or either and the stump grinder and mini skid. To fit the forks, grapple, and bucket on the neck I put the bucket in the grapple, then scoop both up with the forks. Run a chain and binder over it and it's good to go. Excavator attachments can be a bit tougher to move given their usually smaller, irregular size. Another option that suits you better is to put the first attachment(s) on the floor at the back of the trailer, then push them forward with the attachment on the skid. Getting them out can be done by driving into the trailer, or use a chain to slide them to the back.

  3. #3PDG X2014-09-16 09:57

    I use a gooseneck as well, but assuming you have a BP trailer, how about building a rack on top of your truck bed rails for the bucket ? It will be the lighter tool and will fit w/i the foot print of the bed. You should be able to add tie downs to make the bucket positioning and tie down easy. And if you think it through, you could lift the rack off/on if the tie downs are done right, so it can be removed when not needed. It would also keep your truck stock. Just a thought . .

  4. #4pajibson2014-09-16 11:03

    It wont really help you in the here and now but the marine corps has a nifty palletized set up for the attachments for their CAT277b/c model loaders. I tried to find a pic of it on the net but couldn't. I guess I'll wander down to their motor pool on my lunch break and see if they'll let me take a snap or two of it. Everything fits right in to a particular space and you can drive right up and attach to what ever one you want.

  5. #5JD88752014-09-16 16:54

    What about putting the trencher in the bucket and loading both in one shot? You also could maybe crane the trencher into the truck bed with the loader bucket, not the handiest but I've done similar things before when room was premium. I love my short 16' trailer for maneuverability, but some days I sure miss the 30' gooseneck I had for that one reason. I could stack pipe, posts, form lumber, attachments what ever on the front and then run the loader or mini ex up on the back and move a lot of things at once. John

  6. #6Steve Frazier2014-09-16 18:08

    Can you load the first attachments from the side with a chain and then drive on with the final one? I know exactly the problem you're talking about, I stood my 248 upon the engine door trying to get on the trailer without an attachment. Make sure you chain down each attachment individually or DOT will have a field day with you! Don't ask how I know that.....

  7. #7Swannny2014-09-16 21:52

    What KSS said about having a flatbed on the pickup is good advice. I've had multiple flatbeds over the years that now I absolutely dislike working from a factory box/bed. Sell the tooth bucket and get a heavy duty tooth bar for the flat bucket cuts down on one attachment. You may know this, but be super careful about loading a dump trailer with your skid steer. Years ago, I road my machine while halfway on the trailer (connected to truck) down a customer's hill into the street because there was nothing supporting the weight underneath the back of the trailer to the ground - the weight of the machine on the back of the trailer raised the tongue and picked up the back wheels on the truck enough to start the slide down. Another time a customer was picking up a machine from me and did the same thing in his dumper, but I was able to jump in the cab and punch the brakes after he went 20 feet or so.

  8. #8Equip Junkie2014-09-16 22:31

    I use a set of car jacks placed under the back end of the trailer when I am trailering with my 2500. This solves the issue of lifting the rear of the truck. Also, use a set of wheel chocks on the trailer to make sure that it doesn't go anywhere. I initially had only a dump trailer, but found out pretty fast that it is hard to load multiple attachments on it. I now run a 25 foot deck behind a dump truck.

  9. #9AlldayRJ2014-09-16 22:55

    You can drop a bucket in the back of the truck from the side and pull it out. Ive done it with my gehl and my uncles 185 in my f250 with a toolbox. 8' bed. Or just stick the trencher in the bed, its not as wide as the wheel wells right?

  10. #10CM19952014-09-17 07:38

    Welcome to the Forums dkk990!:drinkup What part of the state are you from? As others have said, I would put a flat bed on the 250 and load the trencher on the truck. Then grab the tooth bucket with the 4n1 and load it on the trailer. Will you need both buckets on most jobs you do?

  11. #11RMSS LLC2023-12-16 22:53

    I have a few questions that relate to this forum. Hoping to get some advice from you guys. I want to purchase a flat bed truck, dump trailer, and skid steer for my post retirement/military business. I'm debating a gooseneck vs bumper pull. I would like to be able to carry multiple attachments with me to job sites so I thought the bumper pull option would be best. My first question is if I go gooseneck is there enough room to put an extra skid steer attachment on each side of the gooseneck and chain them down? or would bumper pull be better so that I have the entire flat bed to use. My second question is regarding height. I'm estimating based on internet searches that the deck height of a dumper trailer is 24-28" and max height to top of cab of a skid steer is about 8'. The garage this equipment will be stored in is going to have an opening of 11'. Just want to make sure that I can clear it. Does this sound right? For reference, I'm looking at the Bobcat S590 and S650. Thanks for any help you guys can offer Steve

  12. #12IceHole2023-12-16 23:49

    You're replying to an almost 10 yr old thread.

  13. #13CM19952023-12-17 10:49

    Information is still the same. RMSS what's the towing vehicle and do you have a CDL?

  14. #14KSSS2023-12-17 11:59

    You can put an attachment on each side of the gooseneck as long as they are not too long. So, dirt buckets, grapple buckets, concrete breaker for a skid steer, all that will allow you to put one of each on each side of the trailer and chain it. What doesn't work in doing that is brush mowers, grader atttachment and so forth. If it were me, I would get a gooseneck. You can carry more stuff, easier to pull at heavier weights and if your machines get bigger would already have the capacity to carry larger machines (assuming you bought a 24K GVW trailer the first time).

  15. #15RMSS LLC2023-12-17 12:28

    I'm looking at Dodge/GM 4x4 diesels, 2500 or 3500. No CDL and not required in Colorado. I have extensive large trailer towing experience. Just trying to figure out if I can carry extra attachments with the gooseneck. I think gooseneck is better for towing stability and turning radius but really want the option of at least one other attachment with me. Thanks for replying.

  16. #16RMSS LLC2023-12-17 12:33
  17. #17IceHole2023-12-17 12:37

    Sure but it'd make sense to start a new thread.

  18. #18IceHole2023-12-17 12:39

    CDL will be required with a 3500 and decent sized gooseneck if it's over 26k CGVWR. It's a federal law, not a state thing. 3500 GVWR is usually around 14k, so cant go over a 12k trailer

  19. #19CM19952023-12-17 12:39

    ​ Thread Title - Trailering multiple skid steer attachments​ Topic checks out. Carry on.

  20. #20IceHole2023-12-17 12:41

    That's not what I wrote...

  21. #21CM19952023-12-17 12:45

    Quoted before your edit.

  22. #22KSSS2023-12-17 13:42

    Talking trucks, I would go with a 3500 DRW. I wouldn't even consider a 2500. Get as much capacity as you can, both in truck and trailer. I use a '20 Chevy 3500 DRW, and my gooseneck is a 35' Diamond C trailer at 24K GVW with 14 ply tires, but whatever you chose, plan for the future. Much cheaper to buy a little more than you need now, than having to rebuy later. Not to mention if you need to rent a bigger excavator or something, you would have the ability to trailer it yourself (within reason). You will need a CDL, but trying to run under the CDL limits completely kills your ability to carry what you need to make money for most people.

  23. #23Mobiltech2023-12-17 20:18

    I was lucky to find a 16 foot dump trailer with an 8 x8 deck above the gooseneck. I can carry most of my attachments up there on the neck.