Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailers

Jayrod1 ยท 2015-01-24 22:07

Need a suggestion for a trailer. I'm looking at a Big Tex 25 + 5 22.5k gooseneck. Do any of you see a need for a trailer this large? Or should I stay with a lighter equipment trailer? I have a JD333d.

Replies14
  1. #1ericscher2015-01-24 22:46

    I can't see where you'd need to go even 25 feet. let alone "+5" Also, that weight capacity is way overkill for a 9,000 pound skid steer. I reckon the trailer would likely be about the about the same weight as the cargo. May I ask... What are you planning to haul it with?

  2. #2Equip Junkie2015-01-24 22:49

    I have a T770. It weighs in at about 11k lbs. I have a pintle hitch, 25' deck with 6' beaver tail and flip down ramps. Have 2 10K axles under it. I haul behind a dump truck. Works great. Good for hauling multiple attachments along with the ctl.

  3. #3ericscher2015-01-24 23:43

    Junkie - Not to argue with you for the sake of arguing... Your trailer can certainly haul that load, and then some. But, unless I misread the OP, he is looking for an appropriately sized trailer to BUY and therefore doesn't want to buy something bigger and more expensive than he needs. At least I think that's what he means.

  4. #4Jayrod12015-01-25 03:40

    Thanks for the pic Equip Junkie. This helps. My intent is to be able to haul the machine, which also weighs around 11k, and some other attachments on the trailer if needed. I should have clarified that up front. Looks like your 25 footer is a perfect size for that. I am debating on a deckover tandem dual and a low deck triple axle. Anyone know of disadvantages to either?

  5. #5monster762015-01-25 06:30

    You can't go wrong with that setup you would be surprised how easy it is to get 10 tons worth of skid steer and attachments

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-01-25 07:09

    The tandem duels puts 8 tires on the ground with less drag while turning. The 3 axles typically pull a little bit easier on the highway. The local power company here twisted many axles on a 3 axle while turning sharper while backing up with a bigger fecon equipped skidsteer on it. They finally figured it out. Always a good idea in any trailer to try to avoid sharp turns while backing up loaded.

  7. #7lumberjack2015-01-25 08:00

    I use a 28' flatbed with a 6' deck on the neck and aluminum ramps. 25' is about as short as I would want to go. I move my 13klb excavator, 11.5klb CTL, 5.1klb stump grinder, chippers, compact wheel loaders, mini skids, and attachments. 28' is still short enough to get around town and onto driveways easily enough, but I can see a need for a longer trailer coming to be able to haul 3 chippers on one load for longer trips. If I have a trailer built, it will have 12 or 15klb axles. My opinion is to just say no to conventional single tridems.

  8. #8Equip Junkie2015-01-25 16:20

    I too have seen the need for a longer trailer. I use a 10' snow push in the winter and it is tight with the 25' deck. I also want to expand my equipment and the plan is to get a 35-40' deck with 2-15k axles under it. That way I can carry two machines and attachments. Will have to see how the economy goes this next year. Can you have too many trailers????? LOL I have a 16' long over wheel dump trailer with triple 7k axles. I haven't had any issues with the front axle yet, but have heard of guys in this area bending the front axle or tearing the wheels off the rims while turn sharp.

  9. #9Jayrod12015-01-25 22:04

    Thanks for the help guys! Ive heard that I may have trouble with a triple axle so I think I'll just go with the tandem duals. Guess I'll bite the bullet tomorrow. I'll go with the 25 for now and hopefully business will be good enough that I will have to upsize later.

  10. #10lumberjack2015-01-25 22:07

    I just realized we're in the same state, about 3.5 hours apart. Welcome to HEF. What brand are you considering?

  11. #11Jayrod12015-01-26 11:43

    Yeah we're practically neighbors. Lol. I'm looking at a Top Hat and a Big Tex. Any thoughts?

  12. #12ericscher2015-01-26 11:56

    FWIW, I just ordered a trailer, specifically a PJ. Definitely worth looking at whether you buy or not. I think the things that pushed it over the edge for me was that made a trailer that had all of the things I was looking for in a single trailer, and they powder-coat instead of paint. Something I should say about that... There were some finishing issues at one of their plants a few years ago, which lead to premature failure of the powder-coat and a lot of unhappy customers. Those trailers are still mostly on the road because the underlying trailer was fine, although many people re-sprayed their trailers. As you can imagine, they are not happy and they are easy to find, so it was a big dang deal to me and I looked into it. Apparently they brought in the coating supplier (Sherwin-Williams I think) to tell them what they were doing wrong and they re-did just about everything.

  13. #13lumberjack2015-01-26 12:00

    In general, I would want: Pierced frame cross members, lowers the deck 3". Upgrade the axles from 10klbs to at least 12klbs. If I were buying new, I would upgrade to 17.5" tires/wheels, but that's just me. Third flip over, lay flat ramp or two ramps that cover the full width of the trailer so you can load "anything' and park on top of the ramps (lay flat). As heavy duty a coupler that they will put on there, 30klbs is the common max with a 2 5/16" ball. With the upgraded axles and coupler, decide if you want them to put the GVW above 26k, which means you'd have to pay FET (12%). SEALED wiring harness. No scotch connectors anywhere and no electrical connections that aren't either in a weather proof box or under heat shrink tubing. LED lighting. Have you got any prices yet?

  14. #14Jayrod12015-01-26 14:38

    Good info guys! Thanks! I think I'm going to go with the Big Tex 22.5k GVW with the mega ramps. I got a price of 9200. Does that sound reasonable?