Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trans control unit question 931b

eric parton · 2023-01-14 13:44

I got a 29y 931b that shifts slow. Pressure is around 250. Does it when hot mostly. How do I go about changing o rings in it. Do I unbolt unit or pull cables off and remove spools?

Replies11
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-01-15 01:39

    When was the filter and trans. oil last changed? Have you cut the filter open to check for particles? Looks like there might be a little water in the trans. Use TO4 spec. oil, 30 wt. I think but check the manual. The 3F 1R trans. looks completely different.

  2. #2OzDozer2023-01-15 02:35

    How do you know it has a blown o-ring? Did you run it and see oil squirting out, where it's not supposed to squirt out? How do you know it's not simply a worn-out pump? Just asking, not criticising.

  3. #3kshansen2023-01-15 09:11

    Also not to wish any bad luck on someone but it could be seals in the clutches themselves. Is this slow shifting in every gear or only certain gears?

  4. #4eric parton2023-01-16 11:30

    Thanks for the response guys. It is slow to shift on all speeds but mostly 1st f and r. I got the control out. The seals and O rings were really hard and britle. I have yet to reinstall. I'll let everyone know once I do. I'm trying not to pull the trans if I don't have too.

  5. #5eric parton2023-01-16 11:32

    I had seen a post from Bob ont on these seals causing this. Once it shifts it has plenty of power and doesn't slip or get hot.

  6. #6eric parton2023-01-16 11:34

    Filter and fluid changed last year when I bought it. Using cat supplied to4. Screen was cleaned then as well.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-01-16 20:44

    Didn't realize you were referencing Bob/Ont. You can take what he says to the bank 99.99% of the time. Even more when dealing with the the smaller machines like yours. He helped me immensely with my 931B and it is braking and steering perfect. He saved me a lot money too with simple fixes.

  8. #8Nige2023-01-18 16:38

    See attachment. In addition to R&I it also has instructions for disassembly & assembly.

  9. #9eric parton2023-01-22 08:08

    I got a chance this weekend to reinstall trans control. Immediately noticed a difference on shifts. They are quick and crisp even when warm. Thanks for the help and ideas!

  10. #10DiabloRojo2023-01-31 17:05

    I have a 25y 931b. It was always hard to start until I put in a new starter switch. However, temperatures have been 0° - 15° lately, and, intermittently, the cat engine has began to not want to turn over. I believe there is a starter lock-out switch somewhere in the transmission - prevents the starter from turning the engine over if the transmission is in gear. I think that switch may be frozen/stuck. I'd like to disable/bypass that switch, if I can find it! Any ideas? I need to plow snow!

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-01-31 17:57

    Take the floor plate out and you'll see it on the left side of the transmission. It might just be a wire connector came unplugged. Don't disable it, fix it if it's bad. It's there for a good reason. Cat used a single round pin connector on some wires that can be hard to get fully snapped in place. A couple pairs of pliers helps to push them together. Another problem I had was some wires in the harness that goes up the firewall on the left side rubbed through on the bottom side (where you couldn't see it) and 1 of them would short out at times.