Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transmission code

Towbarman ยท 2023-04-08 19:37

I travel to a shop to help with their equipment for training. I'm here for 2 weeks. They through me a work order on a 120M road grader with several trouble shooting task . From low hydraulic pressure, Steering system calibration and transmission code E-192(3). I looked the equipment over and there are more issues with this thing than what they wrote down. There are 2-3 wiring harness that the good ole ground squirrels have been feasting on. Not sure where to start at. I do know I'll be waiting until Monday to tackle this beast.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2023-04-08 20:25

    You'll need an electrical schematic. It has wiring harness Part Numbetrs on it. Post a Serial Number. E192(3) is not transmission. It's a major steering control system malfunction. Do you have a Service Manual.?

  2. #2Towbarman2023-04-10 13:29

    Mr Nige Thanks for getting back with me so soon. As for a service manual, I do have the military version. I missed printed about the transmission codes as E192(3). I believe that code as you said was for the steering system. I had plans on plugging our MSD device to the Grader, but the shop doesn't have an adapter at this time. I'll have to wait until tomorrow and get one from the school house.. The other code I had is 41-4. not sure right now if it's the hydraulic low-pressure side.

  3. #3Nige2023-04-10 14:11

    41-4 is low voltage on the 8v sensors power supply from an ECM, but which one.? Need the ECM reference as well to identify which one - there are 5 ECMs on the 120M...... TBH I would suggest that first you need to get some communication with the machine and figure out a list of all Active Diagnostic Codes and Events you have. If the Logged Codes/Events can be erased that makes it even easier to see what's going on. if you post a Serial number I can help you with the latest version that is available of the electrical schematic.

  4. #4Towbarman2023-04-10 14:27

    I had to find out how to use the little box that has all the diagnostic codes, active and events. I will get information you sent me rolling after our lunch.

  5. #5Towbarman2023-04-10 16:21

    Mr Nige Here is a few Diagnostic Codes from the Grader Monitor. SRC Code ACT 27 127-3 A 27 E284(3) A 82 41-4 A 82 2252-3 A 82 E192(3) A 82 2252-3 A

  6. #6Nige2023-04-10 17:51

    OK, so the 27 is the Transmission ECM, the 82 is the Implement ECM that also controls the steering. Anything that starts with an "E" is an Event, all the others are Diagnostic Codes. 27-127-3 - Trans oil pressure sensor, voltage above normal. 27-E284(3) - Low Brake Accumulator Pressure. Does this Event disappear when the engine is running.? 82-41-4 - 8v DC sensor supply, voltage below normal. 82-2252-3 - Articulation Angle Sensor #2, voltage above normal. 82-E192(3) - Steering System Malfunction. I'd suggest tackling the 82-41-4 first, but to get the correct procedure needs a Serial Number.

  7. #7Towbarman2023-04-11 09:54

    I found a serial # yesterday. RMY1-UP

  8. #8Nige2023-04-11 10:13

    Are you working with what is or was a military machine.? EDIT: In your reply above you said "As for a service manual, I do have the military version." Do you mean you have a military service manual or are you working on a machine that was originally built for the military.?

  9. #9Towbarman2023-04-11 12:39

    I can say that the machine was built for the military since it has a military Technical Manual (TM) for service, troubleshooting and for Parts. Also, as I dig into this equipment, there's several spots that the squirrels have eaten through the wire cover and into the wire itself. There's is no sense of trying to splice the wires together and it works when it will be easy to order one or two. One of the bigger cables is screwed into the back of the cab along with 2 other smaller type wiring harness'. So, I'm going to work through on finding the right wiring harness' and replace it and hopefully it will fix most of these issues. Sorry to take up your time. Towbarman out!

  10. #10Nige2023-04-11 13:02

    Gotcha. There is no information for the military machines but there is a cross reference file. The RMY-prefix corsses to a "civilian" 120M with S/N prefix B9N. Here is the procedure for troubleshooting the 41-4 Diagnostic Code. There is no electrical schematic for RMY so I will send you the schematic for a B9N machine. On it you will find a table of wiring harness Part Numbers which may help you when ordering replacements. I have my fingers crossed the harness Part Numbers are the same for an RMY machine.