Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transmission ratios

charles walton · 2015-04-22 21:58

I have an 81 International with 355 rears and a Fuller RR 10 speed,The tranny is real loose and noisy in a couple gears and starting to jump out of gear sometimes so I want to up-grade to something better.What transmission would have a lower low gear and about the same high gear as the 10 speed?

Replies8
  1. #1charles walton2015-04-22 22:01

    The lower the low the better!

  2. #2lantraxco2015-04-23 00:10

    Fifteen speed. Old school. Unless you can find a four speed Brown-Lipe auxiliary, and an old five speed. Now that's livin'! LOL

  3. #3nowing752015-04-23 11:55

    Lantraxco I need a brownie box to put behind my 453t in my dually.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-04-23 12:06

    They made some small two speeds that worked nicely, either under or overdrive depending on how you used them. Friend had one in an old 3/4 ton. The smallest three and four speed units were pretty big even for a dually. Wrecking yards in the farm belt would be my suggestion. Have you looked at the gearvendors stuff?

  5. #5CRAFT2015-04-23 12:16

    I doubt that yours is a "RR 10" (unless it's something they used in the little truck world…lol) ……. it's probably a RT 10spd …. to properly advise you'll have to give the Full ident of that tranny ….. like RT95 10 or RT125 10 Or ??? …. But if you're looking for old school you'll be looking at numbers like RTO125 15 , RTX xxx xx …...or a bit newer RTLO ( which basically stands for " Ranger Transmission … "L" is a lower 1st lifting gear …. and "O" for overdrive ) …… the RTLO is what I'd be looking for in your case …. if this is for your 855 250hp I would want to make sure WHAT Bell housing it has first ….. It may not bolt up AND you need to know the input shaft size, etc. etc. …… I have an Old school L8000 Louisville with a NA 3208 225hp …. it's tranny is a RT95 10 spd ….. I have an old school RTO13 spd I thought I could use …. Hmmm everything was different, the bell housing was more like a Pick-up size and a WAY smaller Clutch …. the list didn't end …..Good-luck in your search ….

  6. #6charles walton2015-04-23 12:53

    Thanks,this truck actually,is the one with the 300 that I was planning on building.It is a tandem f-2275 the other one is a single axle 82 model that has what we call a 9-speed hooked to the 250,I have not checked the rear ratio on it yet but it has a lower 1st than the tandem.The 9 is low then 1 thru 4 flip and go back thru those 4 again.It might have a lower 1st but I need to check the rear end it may just be lower geared there.

  7. #7Birken Vogt2015-04-23 23:38

    Actually I believe the "L" has to do with low inertia gears and not gear ratio at all. Roadranger Twin countershaft Low inertia Overdrive = RTLO Before buying anything check the overall ratio from low to high. Or in your case you probably want to make top ratio the same but low gear lower. "C" ratio 10 speeds have wide splits between the gears but cover as much or more ratio than a 15 speed without the complication for instance. 18 speeds cover quite a bit more and 13 speeds about the same or a little deeper than a 15 speed and you are more likely to find one. Check out this chart if you can read it. http://www.roadranger.com/rr/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Transmissions/PCT_486870

  8. #8Old Junk Man2015-06-08 16:57

    get a 12-5 -09 or a 12-5-13. those 15 speeds are weak. that 9 or thirteen speed has a low first gear. you can pull 80000 from a dead start in a grade at idle. and it has a slow reverse also. my old 475 cat engine in a 89 pete 379 shelled out two 15 speeds. They where turned around with the shift pole up against the dash in high gear. I didn't like them a bit. we put a 13 speed from behind a 550 cat and never had a minutes problem