I just bought a 1974 John Deer 450C Dozer and having trouble with the transmission slipping after about 30 minutes of pushing it also only has 1st and 2nd gears working high and low I can shut it down let it cool off and it will run fine for another 30 minutes can anyone tell me what is going on with it.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, dick1961. I took the liberty of renaming your thread to something more descriptive of the problem, and moving it to the Dozer Forum. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out.
Been a long time, but first check the main clutch adjustment? The clutch could be slipping. It could also be worn clutch pack plates, or low transmission pressure which could be a worn pump, internal leak, linkage misadjustment, control valve issue, oil getting too hot (plugged cooler?) or simply the wrong oil for the machine. As to only first and second gear working, again could be several causes but it's very possible a previous owner intentionally altered the machine to lock out the higher gears. The ones we had back in the nineties we always locked out 4th gear mechanically with a plate so you physically could not select 4th gear.
Thanks for your help
Has anyone got any idea were I can get a manual for a 1974 John Deere 450C Dozer
Does it slip in all gears?, does it try to steer when slipping?
Try eBay or your JD dealer can still get them. The JD manuals are pricy. Still they will pay for themselves many times over in both money and aggravation. It's been a while and I can't remember the particulars but the master clutch/ power shift adjustment effect each other and has to be done in a certain sequence on the power shifts. The book is invaluable to set them correctly. I think if my memory is not to foggy that half clutch pedal releases the power shift and full pedal will release the master clutch stopping the PTO, etc.
dick1961 Dmiller After 30 minuets it slips in 1st and 2nd it seems to not have a 3rd or 4th anytime I can lower to blade and its tries to start pulling. It works great for 30 to 45 minuets
Old -Iron - Habit It has a full clutch pedal and it has a PTO on the back of the Machine looking on Amazon now for a manual Thanks