Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transmission trouble

Case Jon · 2021-06-15 23:17

1992 Case 580 Super K. Transmission works fine forward and reverse in 1,2,3, but won’t go into 4th. It grinds and won’t engage ,(shifter in neutral). any thoughts short of transmission rebuild?

Replies8
  1. #1JBrady2021-06-16 10:37

    How are you trying to go into 4th? You need to be rolling at a pretty good speed before going into 4th (or 3rd).

  2. #2Outdoort2021-06-16 10:39

    Hopefully its something ur able to tear apart and rebuild urself…if u have to skills and tools. i got a super k too but i dont know squat about the transaxle except that it seem really expensive to repair… let us know how this ends up for u

  3. #3Outdoort2021-06-16 10:40

    So you cant just shift into 3rd or 4th at a stop? Why not

  4. #4JBrady2021-06-16 11:55

    I mean, you are physically able to, but just like any car with a manual transmission, you can't just take off from a stop sign in 5th gear. You'll bog the engine down. I am by no means an expert on backhoes, but on my 590 Super L, it's 1st gear pushing into a pile or driving down a steep hill. 2nd gear for pretty much everything. I can only use 3rd gear in a few places on our ranch where the road is flat and not too bumpy. I never use 4th gear. The original post said he can't shift into 4th. I take that to mean you physically can't get the shifter into the 4th gear position. That information, along with the other part about gears 1-3 working fine, probably says a bent shifting fork. There are some threads on here in the past that have some good pictures and descriptions.

  5. #5Case Jon2021-06-16 12:16

    bent shifting fork. Thanks, good place to start looking.

  6. #6JBrady2021-06-16 12:35

    This is out of my service manual for an L series, I'd assume a K series is similar, but not identical:

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2021-06-16 13:29

    This is the linkage on the 580SK, you might want to check the linkage for obstructions and adjustment. Here are the fork and shift diagram for 580SK. Everything is on the inside of the tranny and it will have to be removed to get to synchronizers or forks.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2021-06-16 13:30

    I believe this is for an L series machine.