1972 International 1800 with Gas engine, 5 speed with 2 speed rear axle. Parked for 4 years in unheated garage. Started it and then when I tried putting the transmission into gear it will not go into any gear. With the engine off I can put it into gears. The fluid in the transmission is low I will fill it up with SAE 75-90 fluid. Any Ideas as to why the transmission will not go into gears with the engine running? How do I fix it as I have no idea.:beatsme
After you put it in gear, with the engine off, and clutch pedal pushed down... can you then start the truck? OCR
This truck does not have a clutch brake; so that is not your problem. I have seen medium dutys w/ this type of clutch have the clutch disk stuck to the flywheel after sitting up. If you put the truck in gear, mash the clutch, then hit starter, does the truck move? Be careful testing this because if the engine starts, the only way to stop the truck is to switch it off. You may need to pull the coil wire first, depending on how much space you have. If the truck moves with the pedal down, the disk is stuck to the flywheel. I have freed them before by putting the truck in a low gear and pulling it with a piece of equipment while pumping the clutch pedal. You may have to put something on the truck to keep the drive wheels from just sliding. Also if you have room you can put the truck in low, crank it in gear, then shift up to a high enough gear to lug the engine a little, and drive around while pumping the clutch. As a last resort, you may have to tie the truck to something with slack, mash clutch, crank it in gear, and let the truck reach the end of the strap with your foot on clutch. This method presents a higher risk of damage than others. Good luck
We have an old ex-state dump truck just like the truck you have.... Does it have a hydraulically actuated clutch? Does the clutch pedal push down without much resistance... maybe even stays "pushed down"? OCR
more information on problem answer to questions asked I have started the truck with the transmission in gear and the clutch pushed to the floor. The engine starts and the truck moves forward or reverse with the clutch pressed to the floor. So It must be the clutch is frozen to the fly wheel. I do not take my foot off the clutch pedal because I have to stop the engine right away. As I understand it I have to try to break free the clutch from the flywheel by pulling the truck with the transmission in gear, this should break free the clutch from flywheel. Any other suggestions?
You can let somebody hold the clutch down remove the dust cover.Take something like a screw driver and gently pry a little all the way around.I have had luck doing this.
OCR brings up a good point: You need to make sure the fork that pushes the release bearing is moving. If it takes a normal feeling effort to push the pedal, you can probably assume it is. If it moves too easily, you may have linkage trouble. I didn't know IH used hydraulic clutch linkages on some of these trucks, but, If you do have a hydraulic clutch that could be the problem. Once you know your release bearing is moving you know it is a stuck clutch. I've never tried Bill's idea of prying but it might be worth a try. Whichever method you use you have to hold down the clutch pedal. If the truck starts in gear that easily I would probably try driving the truck and pumping the clutch pedal before towing it, just because it is simpler. Good Luck, Mitch
Yesterday I pulled the truck with an excavator. The engine was off and transmission engaged the rear wheels turned and I was engaging the clutch pedal in and out. several times. started the engine with transmission out of gear but the transmission will still not go into gear with engine running. I also applied/locked up the air breaks and pulled the truck the tires slid on the gravel road, transmission did not turn. Any other suggestions on how to get the transmission to rrelease? Could I squirt some of the rust penatrating fluid onto the fly wheel and let it soak? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I dont believe I'd spray any lubricatons on the disc , probbably more trouble later on ...i've had farm tractors stuck so bad that I had spilt them to get them free.. Try getting the truck on a hill, driving uphill use high gear ..Your problem can be aggravating good luck ..
I had a motorcycle that did this and what I did was to start it in gear and ride at a moderate rpm. Depress the clutch pedal and then stab the brakes hard. The bike's clutch would always break loose.
If you have checked for clutch fork movement and thats ok the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel I have in the past on a couple of plow trucks drilled a 5/8 hole in the bell housing (no cover to remove) and put someone in the seat to hold the clutch down while I popped the disc loose gently with a screw driver.It was a once a year deal with both trucks
cross a couple of spark plug wires, the backfire will break 'er loose lol. no really, i would use the prybar myself, but to each his own i guess.. Pj
I know, that this is a bit old and prolly solved, but what I would do is start the truck in gear, float the gears up to 4 or 4 the and hold the clutch pedal down with power applied and may be add some brake it should break free
reply to old iron Thank you for repling. The problem is not fixed, the truck is parked. I have started the truck in first gear and driven it down a dirt road stepping on the breaks and killin the motor, with the clutch engaged and with the clutch not engaged. Still stuck. Any comments?
adjust all the free play you can out of your clutch linkage. this may help to increase the amount or pressure or sepperating force you can apply to clutch disk. if not that loosen of pressure plate bolts alittle bit and see if it will break loose like that
Pretty good idea. If you're careful you could even completely unbolt the pressure plate a little bit a time while turning the engine over with a bar. I don't think anyone has mentioned the possibility that the pilot bearing is seized and stuck to the trans shaft. Pretty unlikely but I did have it happen on an old Ford F500. It was a real job getting the transmission out.