Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transport rates southeast

HLK496 · 2024-01-05 17:43

I’m looking to buy an older excavator for our farm. Something like a Deere 690, cat 225 or the sorts. 20-25 Ton machine. I’ve never had to have a piece of equipment transported and have no idea going rates. I’m in South Carolina and looking at machines in about a 250-300 miles radius or so. What should I expect for hauling cost on something like this? Also if anyone knows any good companies in the area of SC, Georgia, NC or Tennessee as that’s my areas I’m looking let me know.

Replies6
  1. #1CM19952024-01-05 19:33

    Recently had and will in the next 2 weeks have a 325 excavator (55-60K LB) moved from south of Birmingham to Huntsville, AL around 120 miles one way. The first time was $900 +/- for reference. Local tow/lowboy service on a tri-axle Landoll. Budget $2500-3000?

  2. #2crane operator2024-01-05 19:41

    $6-$9 a mile. Depending on permits and or escorts needed.

  3. #3davejo2024-01-06 07:27

    Same size machine here was $1200 for 75 miles, charged an hourly rate...

  4. #4CM19952024-01-06 11:10

    Ouch! We have several towing companies here with Landolls and drop necks so the pricing is competitive. Usually pay $350-400 to move around the city, 10-20 miles.

  5. #5Georgia Iron2024-01-06 13:55

    The cheapest price I could find for a one way 220 mile move was $2,100.00 and they were booked for a week out.

  6. #6Shimmy12024-01-07 13:28

    Around here is similar to C.O. <100 mi one way, $10/mile. 100-150 miles, $9/mile 150-300 miles $8/mile Obviously some guys are cheaper, some are more. What gets me sometimes is someone asks for a quote, and then they ask why don't I use the step deck because it's cheaper. Well, if you want to wait a month so the guy with the step deck can put a round together, have at it. Otherwise, I'll leave tomorrow morning and be back tomorrow night with your tractor.