Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transporting a Mini Excavator – Possible Kubota Kx41 – v3

cloves ยท 2017-01-26 09:26

Hi guys, was going to get some feedback on two things. One thinking of picking up a kubota kx41 v3 2007 1,800k hours. Thoughts on the machine? I will be using the machine for excavating around the house for foundation repair and eventually to dig footing for a garage. Two, the location is about two hours away and wanted to get some feedback on the most cost effective way to pick the unit up if I decide to buy it. I was thinking it would probably be cheaper to rent a vehicle with a trailer and get it myself rather then use a hauler. machine is about 4k plus a trailer assume around 5000 total. I have a Durango which is capaable of pulling a little over 4k but this might over stress my truck.

Replies6
  1. #1melli2017-01-26 16:43

    I would expect trailer to weigh more than a thousand pounds....more like 2000lbs (at least). A rental place might have a 7000lb trailer (max gross - 2- 3.5k axles). I've gone with a towing company with a flat bed truck with crane and tilt deck. I only did it because ferry rates were by the foot and in the latter case, because he was relatively cheap. A 3/4 ton truck is what you need...have any friends with a 3/4? Not suggesting it, but I'd have no problem with a 1/2 ton truck if the route was level. Some of the newer 1/2 ton trucks have 7k tow load...

  2. #2cloves2017-01-26 19:54

    I guess that might make more sense especially if it has 2 wheels. No unfortunately none of my clown friends have any that can tow. Anyone chime on possible places that could haul a mini? I checked out a few hauling services online a few months ago. It was pretty expensive, this one if only about 2 hours from home base.

  3. #3tawilson11522017-01-26 20:36

    Landscapers haul equipment around all the time. Pick up truck and a trailer. I have transported my U25 with my beaver tail and dump trailer. Whatever you do, get it. You will not regret it.

  4. #4code542017-01-26 20:41

    You will need more than your vehicle as you will have 2K in trailer plus the machine. You really never want to exceed the tow rating as it is unsafe and if there was an accident that is going to cause you a lot of possible issues. Also don't forget you need more than a trailer, things like chains, binders, etc. Check with tow companies and even USHIP. Never know when they are going be coming back empty and looking for a return load to make a few bucks. May also want to check with local tractor dealers as they make field repairs and haul eqpt all the time. They may have a delivery out that way and will bring it back to make a few extra bucks on a run they already have to make. Good luck

  5. #5Bill Smith2017-01-27 07:29

    The KX 41 Is one of the best mini exs going . We rent these units and they will easily get 6000 plus hours with out a problem . Our very first kx41 we sold im thinking ten years ago to a contractor and they are still using it . Most of our customers us a dual axel landscape trailer with a half ton truck . We deliver with a 3/4 ton truck .One thing you may know or not , you will need a CVOR ( commercial vehicle operators registration certificate ) For both your truck and and trailer . Your truck and trailer will have to have a safety check every year , Yellow sticker . If you weigh over 4500 kms combined without your CVOR your cooked . And this is monitored by Transport U.S.A / Canada / and Mexico .

  6. #6cloves2017-01-27 15:20

    Great feedback everyone! I didn't even think about trying to local lot that sells to see if they have shipping connections. Totally didn't even know I would need a CVOR, that alone means I'll be looking for other means! i'll keep everyone posted.