Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Travel covers

upnover ยท 2010-09-04 00:55

I made a custom travel cover for the back window of my mini a while back, (I tow it back facing the front of trailer). I thought I did a great job. I would post the picks but I have rented my machine to the guys where I work and twice now the cover has come back trashed. Once the burned it on the exhaust and now apparently the wind caugth it. I used a 2 ply fake leather type of upolstry material and just used bugies to hold it on. My question is what do you other guys use or do you put any thing on the window to keep a rock from hitting when you tow? Do you use snaps, bungees or what?

Replies5
  1. #1Fire222010-09-06 21:49

    I use one made out of plywood. My E32 Bobcat has two brackets welded to the front of the cab near the top. I made two J-hook brackets and bolted them to the cab brackets. Then on the plywood I mounted two offsets on the back with two bolts through them and hang the plywood (bolts) off the J-hook brackets and use a bungee cord to hold the bottom in place. I painted the plywood and it makes a great place to put your business name. Have not had a problem yet.

  2. #2upnover2010-09-07 20:27

    Thats a great idea. My problem is I tow with the back window to the front and the glass is curved. I'm meeting with the upholstry dude tommorow to get this figured out.

  3. #3sheridantent2011-04-03 17:52

    Sorry to resurrect an old thread for a slightly off-topic question. I'm trying to get in touch with the forum owner to ask about possibly advertising on the site. We make a product that addresses the issues discussed in this thread (I won't say anymore because I don't want to spam) and think this would be a great site to advertise on. I've sent a couple of e-mails to the address under "contact us" but haven't received any replies. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  4. #4upnover2011-04-07 22:13

    Cant you just start a thread and see if you get any interest. Maybe show some of your handiwork and people can contact you. I dont know if it's against the "forum" law or not.

  5. #5sheridantent2011-04-13 21:26

    Reading the rules it looks like I'm allowed one thread like that (is that correct mods?) I'll post one soon unless I'm told not to.