not sure what the availability of parts are worth outside Australia but the replacement travel motor for my hitachi 35exu are going to cost me $5500 here !!! where the hell do they come up with such figures , that is 25% of the purchase cost of the machine second hand
Dont get me started. My final drive quote was for 50% of the original purchase price. I fully appreciate the costings of running a business but i cannot see how they can justify the cost of this item. I can only think they are asking a premium because they know buyers will be in a desperate situation and will pay anything to get the machine working again. In my case I use the one track and use the boom as a crutch.
yeah no fun at all , i'm sure if i had the time to spare a good machine shop with a copy lathe could cut new gears and shafts for 1/3 of what these guys want for their parts . I realise that breakdowns are part and parcel of working earthmoving plant , but I sure hate being ripped off
There is a member here called FinalDrive, he helped me with a quote in the past for a drive unit. You might want to get in touch with him.
Thanks Tony , I'll check it out .
I had the same basic issue with mine, except for as they no longer support my machine, I would need to get two of them to keep the speed correct. So I pulled mine apart, and made it work. (Its an ugly fix, but it goes.) I used to do the crutch thing, but thats tough on the slew motor, so I figured, no guts, no glory. And I wasn't goiung ot spend $10,000 on a $2500.00 machine. Start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcjUaQrLVtQ Fixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzMoKiGJ3g Running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf-Es00tzgw
Jillie2 I just replaced mine but had a few issues with hydraulic fittings different than the original plus slightly higher geared i kept the old travel motor and will look into repairing it . When you did your rebuild did you replace the seals or just repair the worn planetaries and ring gear ?
There was only one seal on mine that I had to remove, as I didn't need to pull the travel motor off. And I did a visual on it. (Its just a large "O" ring.) The ring looked good, so I just reused it. No leaks, but it comes apart easily enough, so If it did start leaking I could replace it. (As long as I could find an "O" ring that large. (About a foot in diameter)