Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Traveling with heavy load

bdog1234 · 2018-01-23 20:04

i have a 35g. I use it occasionally to move my welding skid around and get it into tight places. If I have it close in it is no problem but in areas where overall height is an issue and I have to lower the boom and extend it things get a little tippy. Normally I have the blade out front and low so if it starts to tip it will catch me. I was thinking what if I traveled with the blade out back? Kind of scary because it wouldn’t be there to catch you but the weight of it and being that far back might eleminate the tippyness? My 35 is the long arm and has the extra counterweight already. Don’t think I can add anymore.

Replies2
  1. #1mitch5042018-01-23 22:47

    Try it with the skid six inches off the ground. If it starts to tip, it'll just set the load down.

  2. #2Batkom2018-01-23 23:47

    Agree with mitch504. It does make a difference, the blade on the opposing sides of your load does give you a counter balance. I do this often when it feels a little light over the blade side. But each machine is an individual, so check with caution