Trying to identify an engine, currently in an industrial tire shredder, that has a serial of 60A261 (seems short to me, but tag is very clear) My best search results so far show 60A is likely a 955, but no indication of what the engine is. Hoping it's a D333, as I have a 53A 977H that needs one. Anyone got a way to lookup old Cat serials?
If that engine plate is to believed it orignally came from a very early 955H machine. Production of the 60A started in 1960 from what I can see so that number could be a '60 or '61 build. The number is "genuine" in as much as Cat never used zeros back then. Today it would be written 60A00261. In the days of the "D300 Series" engine the machine & engine both carried the same Serial Number, so again it appears kosher. Whether it will work as a drop-in on a 53A machine I'm sorry I don't know.
The D333 in the 977H is a 6 cylinder, the 955H uses the D330 4 cylinder.
Thank you, that's what I needed to know.