Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tree Digger For A Mini X

Danny Steel ยท 2010-11-25 11:22

Hey guys, I have this Idea about using a mini for digging up small trees. Something like a reverse bucket. Do You know of any diggers on the market, Or homemade rigs that can do this? Tips and suggestions appreciated Danny

Replies11
  1. #1AirBornOne2010-11-26 03:00

    Hey Danny, Do you mean for transplanting?Like a tree spade? Otherwise I've just used my bucket.Dig down around the tree,break roots until I can drag the stump out (already cut tree,left a few feet of trunk). Currently I'm putting together a 'ripper saw' tooth to pluck out roots w/o a lot of digging. The neighbors tree I'm working on is partially under a wood fence.Got stuck on a large,deep root and had to cover it up. I hope to sneak under the root and cut it with the tooth and drag out the stump.Leaving the fence intact. Skies. Jay.

  2. #2Danny Steel2010-11-26 08:41

    Hey Jay, I,m looking for a simple way to dig smaller trees 2'-5'......and just wrap them with burlap. Have you see the shovels that go on the front of a skid steer?, That Is something that I'm thinking about, But on the excavator. Danny Ps,maybe the mini x wouldnt have enough down pressure to get under the root??

  3. #3farmerboy2010-11-30 16:04

    I really liked your other shop made bucket Danny and am after some idea I could use on my Cat 305 to transplant walnut trees 2" diam. and 3' root diam. I have a quick change digging bucket and a thumb. All the best from farmerboy

  4. #4Reel hip2010-11-30 16:20

    I have transplanted plenty of trees. I just use the excavator to dig around the roots and then get under it with the bucket and pull it out. It helps if you have a hole allready dug so that you can plant the tree right away though!

  5. #5Danny Steel2010-12-04 10:51

    Thanks Farm......I'm trying to come up with some Ideas, On fabbing some kind of digger for these small trees The trees that I have to dig are Blue Spruce, I'm thinking there may be a way just to spade them out from the front.

  6. #6Danny Steel2010-12-04 10:53

    Yes I do mean Transplating trees, So I do have to take care of the roots while digging:drinkup

  7. #7xcmark2010-12-05 19:01

    I know the Yanmar mini's you can put the bucket on backwards with there quick attach set up. This works really good for digging under utilitys also!

  8. #8AirBornOne2010-12-05 20:13

    Hi Danny, First thing I would be concerned with is if there is a tap root on the Blue Spruce. Otherwise I think you just figured it out,a spade/blade that you can either attach to your excavator or simply drive into the ground using the excavator. A 2-3 ft. long piece of flat stock with a compound curve (a shallow arc along the length and a slightly more pronounced curve across the width.Like a shovel).I think being attached to the stick would give Much better control and be a lot safer as well. Are you thinning out some wild undergrowth Danny? Skies. Jay.

  9. #9Danny Steel2010-12-06 08:18

    I have a field full of trees....They were planted way back, And now they are 3' - 8' Tall. I want to dig them, wrap them with burlap, then take them to a near by area and replant them.

  10. #10Deereman2010-12-25 02:56

    Danny they make two kinds of a non-hydraullic spade for skid steers. Check out bobcat's website. You could look at that and give you an idea on how to build one.

  11. #11maddog2010-12-26 08:25

    I've also just used my baby mini to dig and transplant. Just make sure you dig a big enough spot not to damage the roots. I have moved a crabapple 15' tall at the wrong time of year and it did fine.