Looking for a tree shear to go on my Case 1845C. I am planning on using it to clean up fence rows and around field edges, and overhanging limbs that reach out and grab tractor lights. I'm not wanting to drop 10k on one of these things, but I don't want to waste money on something flimsy either. What have you guys had good luck with?
I've been looking at them for 2 years now. Really hoping you get some good info that the rest of us can read too.
What's the biggest size you're looking to cut?
Mighty Axe in Kansas make an excellent shear. I've had mine since 2004 and have cut many trees including Bois d Arc with it. I advertise it cutting 12". I like it as the blades are pointed and exposed near tips for pinpoint cutting unlike the wrap around frame like a Dymax. If the rootswell is not too much above ground level, I can cut a capacity tree close enough to run a lawnmower over the stump. It doesn't have a grabber but works well for fenceline cleanout even between wires.
12 inch is probably as big as I would go. I would like to cut as close to the ground as possible to avoid damaged tires etc. I am also interested in cutting limbs overhanging field edges on larger trees so I guess I need a rotating head as well.
Tree Terminator all the way. Grace Manufacturing has been great to deal with and their customer service and warranty service was top-notch. I'd only go with a 12" capacity for that machine. It's heavy at 1200 lbs and built to last with simple design. I've owned 3 in 20 years and use them commercially on bigger machines in rough conditions like rock.
http://vimeo.com/51278497
I'm a big fan of dymax Tree shears. Dad bought one in the mid 90's and i've since upgraded it to a timberwolf. timberwolf
I've looked at shears and I think the tops are dymax and ryans, accumulator models. Why snip and carry one ant a time when you can do 4? Also I dunno about a 12" tree and an 1845c, don't get me wrong I love my 1845c's, they set the mark in skidloaders for their time, but they don't have the tail to be carrying around a 12" piece of pole timber without a skilled operator in my book.
With the timberwolf shear the tree doesn't fall til you let go of it. They build the timberwolf shears like miniature bunching shears that were popular before hotsaws became the norm. The first shear we had was a single cylinder with a grab. It sorta looked like their ranch axe but with a grabber above the closed shear. My dad wanted it because we could cut and pile cedars with or bunch trees to be skidded with the dozer when doing woodlot management. Dymax bulids a 14" rotator if that more your speed and up to 20" shear that doesn't grab for dealing with large dbh cedars.