I am thinking of getting a trencher to install short runs of tile. Probably 50-500 ft runs in random areas, not pattern tiling anything, putting in 4" up to 6" tile. I shouldn't need to trench deeper than 4 ft. I have a backhoe to dig starts. What are anyone's recommendations for doing this? Type of trencher and laser grade system to use? How do you feed the tile into the trench and ensure that it's bedded properly? Can this be done with one person? Is it worth doing with a trencher? I'm not interested in a wheel machine and I don't have a tractor to put on a plow. Thanks for your input.
I have seen a few vermeer and ditchwitch trenchers in the 60 to 80hp range set up with lasers and tile boots/shoe. Sounds like that type of setup would be a good match for what you say you are going to do. Don't know where you are but I know some dealers who have done these setups. As far as feeding the tile in, if you string out the tile along the path you will install, then most of the time, if you have a proper boot/shoe, the tile will self-feed. Also, make sure whatever you get, the boot/shoe has a groover on the bottom to give the tile support when you backfill. And remember, accuracy is MUCH more important than speed. It is an investment, treat it as such.
That's good information, thank you. I'm about 2 hours east of you.
Most people who start with a Vermeer or ditch witch eventually move up to a trencher set up and capable to installing drain tile, as for doing it alone, there's nothing wrong with working alone, just keep safety in mind as the most important thing on you list every day, dig your holes larger so the dirt can't cave in on you, and take your time, always carry your cell phone just in case you need help asap and you'll do just fine. I'd opt for a dedicated tile trencher myself, but to get a taste for it, smaller and cheaper might be the way to go. As for a laser setup, chat with whoever there is in your area who sells and more importantly fixes them, you need a simple slope laser and receiver setup, along with a hand held receiver and your good to go, just make sure your fix it guy is on the same page as you are, you need it to work when you need it, not next week or next spring kind of operation. Your biggest drawback is moving your equipment and vehicle along with supplies working alone, and only you can work that out. There were a few old timers in my area who tiled alone, did it for decades, moving was their issue, so they worked it out with their customers, the customer had to help them move, shuttle them around and that was part of the deal to get him to come do your work. Some allowed the customer to help, others not, just depended on the person doing the work and how they operated. If your good and treat customers well, you've got lifetime job security.