Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trenching – Rookie question

Alaska Sunrise ยท 2010-12-27 19:51

What is the best way to trench? What I mean by that is how to you reposition the machine to continue digging? Should I just move back a bit at a time and continue raking up the face of the trench, or move back several feet and strip down the trench in "layers" until i get to grade? I have tried both and just wondering how the pro's do it.

Replies22
  1. #1td25c2010-12-27 20:10

    Depends allot on what type ground you are digging in.When I get in to limestone I work the face of the ditch using the bucket teeth to get in the stone to peel it out.In dirt I like to back up more & take out the "layers" until grade.

  2. #2JimBruce422010-12-27 20:14

    Digging in layers tends to be more efficient (text book) way to dig, because you are using the bucket, stick and boom to the fullest advantage and force to dig. I personally also find it easier to maintain grade this way. However there are situations as td25c pointed out where raking the face will be more effective.

  3. #3EGS2010-12-27 20:16

    For me it all depends on how deep I am digging. If you are shallow move back some, if deep you have to be able to reach it so may not be able to move back as much. With a excavator it is all about angles and arcs. You can't work on top of yourself and expect to get anything done. Track back a little so you can use some of your reach.

  4. #4sultan2010-12-27 20:21

    Both approaches work. I find the layers approach makes it easier to get the grade, and it is the proper textbook way to do it. I do like the digging up (raking face) way for rough digging though when grade isn't too important. I find I get better bucket fill (over-heaping full) when I just hook into the ground and raise the boom than when I make a horizontal cut. When you're just doing one operation (boom raise), the boom raise is very fast and I can get cycle times just as good as the layer method but with more dirt removed per cycle. Raking the face is also good for bulking when you're digging deep.

  5. #5tootalltimmy2010-12-28 02:47

    The construction project I worked on for wages this year had lots of trenching for the services and I was working in the trench laboring. The operators were very experienced. If there were other services we were crossing it was very important to pull the layers out gradually on a long angle. Not all the service crossings were known. If it is pulled on a long slope the bucket will bounce over a pipe rather than rip it out if you pull straight up the face.

  6. #6nedly052010-12-28 05:07

    If it's decent digging I like to work in layers, this way I can seperate any topsoil or clean sand. Depending on the situation you may be able to use the sand for bedding then finish up with the topsoils. If is rough going or the spoil is being trucked off then I will just rake the face and bale. Utilities make a big difference in the way I dig too. Definetly dig in layers when there are utilities, and make good use of a shovel so as to not tear them out.

  7. #7RonG2010-12-28 05:26

    I usually start out as if digging in layers no matter how I get the rest of the trench excavated to keep the top edges of my trench clean.If it is tough material to dig or I am looking or expecting to find utilities I rake the trench on an angle to aid in locating the utility or to loosen the material to fill the bucket with the least strain on the equipment,similar to fluffing up topsoil to make it look like a bigger load if you are loading topsoil to sell .Ron G

  8. #8Turbo218352010-12-28 08:17

    I have no choice when I dig. Layers is the rule of the land. I spend a lot of time digging at gas stations, refineries, and chemical plants. No one ever seems to know where stuff is burried. I will make a flat cut, taking no more than the depth of the teeth. Long and smooth pulls, you will always find something, the bucket will tend to skip over everything. After I get to the depth of the bucket, I will clean up the top, and begin any sloping that needs to be done. This rolls all the material downhill, where I can easily get full buckets on clean up. Vary rarely do I get to depth, and chew on the face. The exception to that rule is dealing with pavements, or frost, where you get extra breakout force by using the heal of the bucket in the bottom of the trench, and the teeth at the top. Using this as a lever helps quite a bit in those situations.

  9. #9thebaz2010-12-28 16:04

    I generally cut in layers for the same reasons that most have stated here, one thing that I also find is that it is much easier to establish a strait line of trench if you cut the first few layers with as much length as possible so the bucket follows the grove as you dig deeper. Digging from the bottom of trench up the face is a real easy way to get off line.

  10. #10stock2010-12-28 17:10

    Well it is always layers for a trench,and for bulk shift pull of the face..........................

  11. #11qball2010-12-29 00:34

    i like to dig out the bottom and then come back for the top.

  12. #12richie2011-01-04 19:49

    I like to do in layers also so i can seperate topsoil from the subsoil. It can get pricey when u mixed it all up and use that to backfill, then buy topsoil to finish.

  13. #13RDG2011-01-05 04:33

    One thing to remember is you get max power to the stick when its close to being verticle as well as its easier to do a smoother cut than when the stick is right out at max reach, theres a bit of a sweet spot in the middle of the range were you have max power plus good and easy control. Depending on the depth/ width and size of the trench it may be easier to dig sideways. Have fun. Cheers RDG.

  14. #14Reel hip2011-01-06 17:09

    You have a lot of good answers here. Now just go out and dig. You will develop your style.

  15. #15JD450A2011-01-06 17:29

    Well, Rookie to Rookie, I seriously advise you to dig in layers for "ordianary" Trenching. For one I've only ever completely ruined one working utility, and that was a waterpipe I ripped clean trough by doing the raking way. It was'nt until I saw a pool of water building up in the trench that I stopped and noticed it. That was with a 1.4 ton machine, and I did'nt notice whatsoever, And of course with that methord your visibilitys rather impared. Last time I ever dug like that. and 99% of times theres no need to dig like that. On Bulk Excavation perhaps or Deep stuff, but not "ordinary" trenching. Dig In layers, It's a skill to keep the levels. But you keep the visibility, you have more control and you can seperate the soil, apparently it leaves nicer trench sides. And Of course people won't come complaining because you've just disconnected there water slupply

  16. #16jd7002011-03-29 00:06

    kinda depends on what you are doing...if you are just trenching for say pipeline or footings etc i dig in layers it usually makes for a clean looking trench depending on the soil you are in as you are not just pulling out heaping buckets everytime plus you are a lil more likely to see some utilities that may or may not be located...on the other hand say you are loading trucks from a borrow pit i just kinda get my cut going and get after it cuz if you got alot of trucks say 20? its your job too keep em moving just my thought...but also you can learn alot on your own just gettin alot of seat time good luck

  17. #17xrlentau62011-04-02 20:33

    I cant comment in regards to 20t plus diggers but with anything in the 3t to 14t range I find that digging in layers is the way to go. From a service point yes you are less likely to hit things in the ground if you are taking off layers 50-100mm at a time. Not saying you wont hit anything but you at least have a better chance of seeing a trench line, sand or marker tape. I also find it to be quicker, yes quicker. If you are digging at the full reach you dont have to keep moving the machine. I have found that when I pull the full lenght I will end up with a full heaped bucket when digging in normal ground. The the most important thing, quality. Digging inlayers helps to keep the edge of the trench neat which makes life better for the pipe layers, and also makes it a lot easier to get grade. Guess the grade depends on whats going in the trench but currenttly we are laying water main with socket joints so bottom has to be flat with an even layer of 50 mm of sand. all just takes time to get used to the machine your in. When it comes to rock etc, well all bets are off and just get it out anyway you can.

  18. #18stumpjumper832011-04-02 20:47

    Trench in layers, as you get seat time you will learn to feel what your bucket is doing and you will learn what another ditch feels & looks like, learning that will help to feel other utilities that might not be marked. Now when I'm bulking out, I tend to start at the bottom to keep it neat, so I can put my truck where I want it.

  19. #19tuney4432011-04-03 08:17

    Most bang for the buck as previously mentioned is to maintain your dipper stick as close to a 90* angle to the ground as possible keeping a nice slope to your excavation.Myself,being a 1 horse show,it's other side benefit is usually I have to walk down that ramp and then there's the return,yup,uphill,I noticed once I past 50,my digging angle went from a 2-1 to a 3-1 slope sort of automatically.lol

  20. #20plantman.uk2011-04-09 16:10

    Depends what you are digging for...if there are cables/pipes in there then i tend to use a 'gummy' on it. If i'm digging virgin ground i always dig in layers...always safe...Always work within the machines reach...Put a good back on it from the start and work clean and tidy..

  21. #21Darkie2011-04-15 21:58

    Layers Layers is the tidiest way to do trenches as you won't rip the sides of the trench out at the top, even when you start each section just run the teeth through the ground first it'll scar the surface and give you a nice line without again pulling the sides out at the top of the trench, also run the floor of the bucket along the surface on both sides to keep the top edge tight clean and compacted, and remember that when digging you will get the maximum break out force when your boom and dipper arm are at the point of forming a 90 degree angle

  22. #22Laxin2011-04-19 18:42

    Honestly, This helps me as well. I was working for a big company and now I'm in my 4 week of school. Any and all tips help. Good post.