Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

trojan 114 ,needs a dipstick for transfer case

justlearning ยท 2014-08-18 13:16

I am trying to find information as to where i could locate a replacement dipstick for an old trojan tractor shovel model 114, it is probably a 1963 model, does anyone know of a similar engine that would have the same dipstick, and perhaps be easier to locate

Replies8
  1. #1Mike Van2014-08-19 06:02

    You could try here http://www.minnpar.com/ or some of the salvage yards you can find with a google search

  2. #2justlearning2014-08-19 09:14

    thank you, for your reply. I am trying to find this info for my brother, and apparently, i do have a lot to learn. I have to wait to get the name and model of the transfer case, as it seems to vary on these old machines.I thought that if i could find a dipstick for a D282 engine , it would be ok, but apparently this isn't for the engine, it is for the transfer case, so perhaps once i find that out i might have better luck finding what i am looking for. This is a wonderful forum, and it is great actually connecting with someone who has the same piece of equipment. I've ordered a manual off of e-bay, i don't know how he has figured out how to operate it without one.I briefly saw a post , from a man that knew of a gentleman that still sold parts for older Trojans, but i haven't been able to find that post again, and would appreciate any sources that you might have to share. I have enjoyed reading your posts, and those of Gooseidi, there seems to be something contagious about , keeping these old dinosaurs up and running, and nice to share your experiences. Thank you!

  3. #3Mike Van2014-08-19 09:49

    The dipstick will be for the transmission, there is no 'transfer case' It's called a drop box on these, and it has a plug you remove to check the oil level. Much like a differential.

  4. #4justlearning2014-08-19 14:20

    this one must be different, both drives come out of it, it is bolted to the motor, with a torque converter in it, maybe it is called a drop box, but it is similar to a transfer case, because of both drives coming off it. It will be interesting to me, to find out exactly what make it is, because as you know, these old machines have often been altered. His is still a gas engine, where as some have been switched over to diesel. not sure if i have done it, correctly, but i wanted to send you a picture of our"114", who knows, they may be related, lol

  5. #5justlearning2014-08-19 17:57

    i hope the picture shows up

  6. #6Mike Van2014-08-20 06:05

    Looks same as mine - The serial # should be up behind the seat. Mines 1960, these came with either an IH gas or diesel engine. Mine has a Cummins in it now. If you can't find a dipstick, I'll measure mine, you can make one up -

  7. #7justlearning2014-08-20 09:49

    that sound great, if he can get the measurements and perhaps a picture, from you, i am sure that he can make one up for it. I am still waiting to see if Minnpar can come up with one, but i like your idea, he can go ahead and make one up, have it as a spare, afterall it was him that sat it on the frame , and lost it in the first place. Thank you for your time.

  8. #8Mike Van2014-08-23 13:44

    I don't have a pic, but it's pretty simple - The part that goes down into the transmission is exactly 11" long, from the tip up to the seal. Up from the tip 1 1/4" is a line that says "add" then 7/8" above that is a line marked "full"