Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trojan 124a

Caterpiier man ยท 2013-06-13 12:48

Hi everyone. I have trojan 124a serial number 61-1084 that has not been started in about 5 years. It has a diesel engine. The engine is not a cat nor a detroit. I don't if it is a positive or negative ground. Someone told me it has a voltage reducer. The electrical system is 24 volts. How can I tell if the voltage reducer is functioning. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Don McHattie Casper Wyoming

Replies11
  1. #1d9gdon2013-06-13 13:57

    Hey Don, You can tell if it's positive or negative ground by looking at the batteries and tracing which terminal cable is grounded to the frame or starter(it might pass thru a master switch), positive or negative. The other one will go to the starter solenoid. You could use a voltmeter to check the voltage at the starter solenoid. I'm not sure why it would be a 24V system with a voltage reducer except for lights. Since this is a Trojan loader, instead of Caterpillar Man shouldn't your handle be Trojan Man?

  2. #2CM19952013-06-13 18:31

    Welcome to the Forums Caterpillar man!:drinkup If you would like I can change the title of the thread from Caterpillar man to Trojan 124a. I think you will get more replies with a specific make and model as the thread title.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2013-06-13 19:22

    Sounds to me you mean a "series parallel switch" It sets up your batteries in 24 volt at the starter for cranking and 12 volt for everything else. They were popular on trucks. Measure voltage at starter when cranking and any other place when not. Later Bob

  4. #4Caterpiier man2013-06-14 00:20

    Please do so as I am new to these computers> At 78 years old I like an old dog trying to learn new tricks. Don

  5. #5Caterpiier man2013-06-14 00:26

    When I told my wife I was going to use Trojan man, some ladies that I didn't know, on the other side of the wall started laughing as we both are in late 70's. I do thank all of you for your input.

  6. #6Caterpiier man2013-06-14 00:33

    By golly, Your Right Don

  7. #7CM19952013-06-14 07:26

    Done.

  8. #8Caterpiier man2013-06-14 10:24

    Thanks.

  9. #9Stump Knocker2013-06-14 10:46

    Just because there is snow on the roof doesn't mean the fire is out in the boiler!!! STUMP KNOCKER

  10. #10Mike Van2013-06-15 06:36

    cat-man - I have a Trojan 114, a year older and one size smaller than your 124A. Not saying yours is the same, but - My book shows my loader came with gas or diesel, both engines made by IHC [ International Harvester Co]. I don't have the engine manual, just the chassis one. It shows two batteries in it, however it lists them as 6 volt. Connected in series, it would put 12 volts to the starter. Just throwing this in here, not sure if yours is the same. Now, if the old dog wants to get a few more tricks, see if you can post some pics of yours, as there's some pretty savvy people here that can probably ID all of it -

  11. #11Gooseidi2013-08-26 23:34

    My 114 has a D282 International in line 6 cylinder in it. Look at the hour meter, mine says 12 volts. I had my starter rebuilt and the builder confirmed that it was 12 volt negative ground. I'm not saying that yours may not be different but its a guess. I can post pics of the engine if that would help. Mine has dual matching canister style fuel filters on the left side of the machine as you sit in the drivers seat. I found a picture on Google that allowed me to idenitfy my engine. Good luck, keep is posted.