Working on an 580C recently given to me. It has been sitting for a bout 2 years. Replaced the bad lines on the hoe and now am working to get the engine going so I can bring it home. Engine starts right up but loses power and then dies after about 15 seconds. I changed the fuel filters and bled the system several times but it is still doing the same thing. Sometimes it will run longer prior to losing power. No leaks, gravity fuel system and good flow to the pump. Fuel from #3 and #4 injectors seems to be weak relative to #1 and #2. I have not checked for blockage on the return line yet but will do so. Any suggestions or secrets to getting this system bled completely. Thanks in advance.
Try checking the fitting at the top of the pump where the return line attaches. I think there is either an orifice or a valve inside. Make sure the valve unseats, and that there is fuel right there under the fitting when you unscrew it. Also check the return to tank line, completely. Doesn't hurt to make sure the tank is venting while your at it. Make sure again you have flow right at the pump, in the line from the final filter to the injection pump. Fuel should leak out here by gravity alone. I think there is a fine screen inside the inlet to the pump, but only check this if all else fails and be careful of dirt entering the pump. Phil
Phil: You are right there is a one way check ball in the fitting for the return line. Problem is it is a glass ball, so it appears as if you can look right through the fitting and there is no check. best way to check it is blow it off with air then test it by blowing into it both ways. Make sure it checks one way.
Thanks guys. I was not aware of the strainer. I hopefully will get back done to work on it in a week or two (2.5 hrs away). I will let you know what I find. Thanks again for the great suggestions.
Turned out the glass ball in the return check was stuck. Thanks for the help. I've got the backhoe home and the now the fun starts to rehabilitate a severely neglected machine.
A machine sitting for 2 years..... I think I would add a good dose of fuel injector cleaner like Seafoam, to your fuel tank, in case of any gum build-up. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. The glass ball info is most interesting, thanks to gggraham. Phil