Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

94 580SK smoking problem

94SKgary ยท 2009-07-14 16:48

HI guys name is gary i have a 94 580SK 4x4 it has 6100 hours on it.my problem is when driving down the road it runs great under a pull wide open it is when you start down a grade and you back off the foot feed alittleit will begin to smoke blue smoke but you can go back to wide open and it will quit smoking.but then it will have a studder/miss in the motor and every time you here it miss you see a puff of blue smoke.if you want more info let me know?

Replies23
  1. #1alrman2009-07-14 18:29

    Pull intake hose off inlet manifold & see if there is any dampness there - if so pre-heater is leaking - allowing excess fuel to enter engine. You could disconnect fuel line & blank off fitting at filter or if you need it for cold weather starts you'll have to replace it.

  2. #2gggraham2009-07-14 23:39

    Case did not use pre heaters. Could be your turbo seals leaking, On a diesel turbo there are tiny groove that act as a centrifugal pump to keep oil away from the seal. On deceleration there is a pressure drop on the compressor side (on a gasoline engine this can be almost a total vacuum so different seals are used) A bad compressor seal can cause oil to be sucked into the compressor side on deceleration. Remove the intake hose from the turbo or the short rubber hose between the turbo and the intake manifold. . Is there an excessive amount of oil? If so time to have the turbo rebuilt.

  3. #3alrman2009-07-15 09:28

    Disconnected dozens of pre-heaters on 580SK & SLE - they even dilute engine oil when they are real bad

  4. #4gggraham2009-07-15 21:43

    Alrman: Sorry I keep forgetting about you being is Australia and other people may be from elsewhere in the world. These systems were not on NA models and I made a bad assumption that SKGary was in NA. Here they were ether injection. I know some guys who put a "grid" type heater element in. They did use that fuel heater on the later XT series skidsteer and yes they did fail and burn poorly, thick blue smoke as well as dilute oil. SKGary depends where you are whether this fuel heater is on the unit.

  5. #594SKgary2009-07-16 02:02

    sorry guys i for got to tell you it is a non turbo 3.9

  6. #694SKgary2009-07-16 23:45

    well guys i started working on the backhoe today and what i found was that the air filter was 3/4 stopped up and the little fuel filter had came apart in side it was just rattling around in its self.so when i took it off it had water and what looked like mudd and black grit running out of it.thank god the big filter was there to catch it.the bad thing is that i just changed them not 100 hours ago.oh yeah just 2 weeks ago i ran a can of sea foam i guess that is what broke the stuff loose. anyway do you think a clogged air filter and bad dirty fuel and filters could cause my problem that i described? OH yeah it does not have a pre heater i live in mid west MO.

  7. #7willie592009-07-17 00:06

    MO...do you mean Missouri? Man...I'm really disoriented now! :dizzy

  8. #894SKgary2009-07-17 00:09

    yes i mean Missouri !!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9willie592009-07-17 00:17

    That's OK, don't get excited with exclamations. We have gone from Canada, to Australia, to now MO, that's where I'm confused. I'm like gggraham, I have never seen a Case with a Cummins 4BT that has a fuel preheat injection system in North America, as this thread has lead. I'm not trying to derail this thread question...just trying to get it back on track to solve your problem.

  10. #1094SKgary2009-07-17 00:29

    thats ok i have only had this hoe sense last october and dont know any thing about it .my first post i said it ran good wide open but hell with the stuff i found today it should run alot better when i get it put back together. I HOPE IT DOES ANYWAY.

  11. #11amunderdog2009-07-17 06:09

    How do you get a SK without turbo? I thought that was the Super Part. How does a plugged air filter = Blue smoke I always got rolling Black smoke and no power. How does a Plugged messed up fuel filter = any smoke I always got low power + poor performance. There has been some powerfull knowledge brought to bear on this thread. Very enjoyable reading but some what convoluted. I thought post #3 gggraham had nailed the problem....

  12. #12Phil2009-07-17 21:14

    I have been following this thread with interest also. Phil

  13. #13willie592009-07-17 21:51

    Just curious; with engine warmed up, machine in neutral, what does it do if you step on the throttle, put it on the governor, and hold it there? Does it run smooth? Or does it run with a slight miss and puffs of blue smoke?

  14. #14Phil2009-07-18 06:01

    I keep thinking this problem is on the injection side, didn't mean to block your post ATCO Phil.

  15. #1594SKgary2009-07-19 23:41

    phil it runs smooth at full throttle with just a brown haze seems good to me but it seems to smoke blue when its under a back drag going down hill when your letting off the throttle alittle.

  16. #16Phil2009-07-20 20:36

    If it were my machine, after installing new fuel filters(both), and making sure the air filter is good( which you already have), I would suspect the injection system. I would pull my injectors and have them tested first. It takes a lot to get a warm diesel engine to miss and I suspect it's poor combustion that's causing the blue haze. I have a fuel injection pump off an earlier Case 580D, that missed bad at half throttle under no load, but started and worked well under load. The injectors were new so I changed the pump out and fortunately that fixed it. I suspect that my pump has low supply pressure from the internal transfer pump. Sounds like this machine has had little preventative maintenance. Water in the fuel is a bad thing so make sure your tank has a drain and you are using it. Sea foam is a good product to use. I'm just guessing at your problem, maybe someone else will comment with other ideas. Phil

  17. #17willie592009-07-20 21:08

    I'm with Phil, I think it's possibly and injection problem. It takes a bit of pressure to unlock the internal check (can't remember proper teminology) inside the injectors. Under full throttle/full load, the pressure is going to be there. At throttle "backed off" is when pressure is going to be the least. Add an injection pump that's "operational" but not necessarily a spring chicken on the inside, throw in some seasoned injectors, you'll now find a few quirks in how the engine runs.

  18. #1894SKgary2009-07-20 21:24

    thanks guys i will get a rebuilt pump and try that .thanks for the help you two . and another thing is the old hoe showed 6100 hours but i do know that its very easy to unplug the tach from the alternator so it dont show the rite hours .hell it may have 10,000 hours on it .

  19. #19willie592009-07-20 21:36

    Ahhhh, hours don't mean everything. If the boom ain't about to fall off, if you don't have to spray a case of ether in it to start it, if it don't drink as much oil as diesel, if it drives and digs, it's still got some life in it.

  20. #2094SKgary2009-07-28 01:22

    thanks alot guys i just got the new pump put on today and it was awsome how much better the 580SK runs and no more blue smoke and another thing it seemed to help is it dont vibrate at an idle as bad as it use to.

  21. #21alrman2009-07-28 03:03

    check your front engine mounts - SK's have a bad habit of chewing them out - well at least they do down here in Aussie Land

  22. #22Phil2009-07-28 06:54

    That's a good point about the hour meters. I don't pay any attention to the hour meter on an older machine, but it seems alot of people do. The older Case machines use the tach cable which often breaks. Phil

  23. #23willie592009-07-28 19:31

    :woohoo :beerchug