Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trouble identifying hydraulic hose fittings

Crewchief1 · 2021-07-28 18:25

I have a JD 450C ,I need to remove the ripper. The two lines from the Ripper control valve are 1/2 ID ? they go into a tee and 3/8 lines go to the two cylinders. I need caps and plugs for the larger lines.I don’t know the name of the fittings to get the correct Caps and plugs. The two male line are tapered. .759 To .828 . Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Mike L2021-07-28 19:24

    That looks like pipe thread to me.

  2. #2Coaldust2021-07-28 21:31

    NPTSM National Pipe Thread Straight Mechanical (with a 30degree inverted seat.). Old school. Since you are replacing, you might consider converting to JIC which is easier to find and often less expensive.

  3. #3Crewchief12021-07-28 22:42

    Thanks for the information. Do you know anyone that sells caps and plugs for these fittings?

  4. #4Coaldust2021-07-28 23:09

    You can use NPT to cap and plug. I’d avoid black pipe and go with “ hydraulic” pipe. What I’m saying is brands like Parker put a 30 degree bevel on most of their NPT fittings. I think Weatherhead does, too.

  5. #5John C.2021-07-28 23:35

    I think you can find a company by the name of Motion and Flow Control who sells all things hose and fittings. The fittings in the photos used to be known as ball nose and commonly found on medium pressure stuff like the old dozers. https://www.mfcp.com

  6. #6Thirty5D2021-07-29 05:17

    McMaster Carr has information that might help you. Link: hydraulic fittings | McMaster-Carr

  7. #7DMiller2021-07-29 05:30

    Any local Hydraulic shop will have fittings, going to be spendy.

  8. #8Mike L2021-07-29 19:09

    eBay is the cheapest place I’ve found to buy caps and plugs

  9. #9Crewchief12021-07-29 21:59

    My local hydraulic shops do not have them. McMaster Carr doesn't have them Still looking. Thanks for all the replies!

  10. #10Coaldust2021-07-30 02:35

    Your local Cat dealer will have them. Side note: My local MFCP branch has a lot of empty shelves and hardly any staff. About impossible to get a hose made within any reasonable time frame.

  11. #11terex herder2021-07-30 20:37

    I am away from my Gates catalog, but you need 1/2 nptf (dryseal) with a 30 degree internal flare. Gates offers male pipe fittings with and without the 30 degree bevel, but my supplier only stocks with bevel. If you can't find a plug, buy fittings and weld the end shut. Should be available at any farm equipment dealer. Or do what I do, and root through his trash first and see if someone has thrown away what I need.