Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

trouble starting my generator

IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI ยท 2020-05-27 09:22

I'm having trouble starting my generator after following the timing procedures. the whole engine has just been overhauled. it a john deere engine 4045TF150

Replies23
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2020-05-27 15:16

    Are you getting fuel at the injectors? Is it trying to start or just cranking over? Mechanical or electronic injection pump?

  2. #2IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-05-28 03:34

    yes I'm getting fuel at the injector it's only cranking, no sign of starting. it's an electronic pump

  3. #3mg23612020-05-28 05:45

    Welcome to HEF Iyanuoluwa ! Engine serial number? You said following timing procedures? Timing gear timing? Injection pump timing? Both? Do you have a service manual? Did it run before the overhaul?

  4. #4IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-05-28 09:00

    yes i followed the timing procedures (both gear and injector) i have a service manual, it's what i used to set the timing

  5. #5IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-05-28 09:01

    and, it's was running before the overhaul

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2020-05-28 15:28

    Putting the engine tag into Powerassist shows that as a mechanical pump engine. Does it have a black ECM mounted to the block next to the pump? Important to know since the DE pumps use all the sensor inputs and ECM to control pump operation, while the DB2/4 or inline will run off of how it was mechanically timed with the engine. What was the reason for the overhaul?

  7. #7IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-05-29 01:14

    the reason for the overhaul was; the engine lost its output power, no compression at all. it would take forever before it starts. i just discovered that I'm not getting fuel at the nozzles and the output pressure of the injector is low. I think i will have to get the injector and nozzles checked out. After the repair, i will re-time and try and start the engine. I will inform you how it goes. Thanks to everyone for your help, I'm honored

  8. #8mg23612020-05-29 04:37

    @MarshallPowerGen - I checked the build codes for the serial number and the engine has a DB4 mechanical injection pump. Are you getting a good fuel supply to the injection pump? Also I would have recommended to have the injection pump rebuilt/replaced and new injectors installed as part of the overhaul. Which manual are you using?

  9. #9thepumpguysc2020-05-29 06:40

    iTS really is ASTOUNDING HOW MANY PEOPLE dont SERVICE THE INJ PUMP & INJECTORS AS PART OF AN OVERHAUL..!! {Sorry cap locks} They are the heartbeat of the engine..& no matter how expensive your parts are or how many engines you've rebuilt, if the pump isnt up to par & the injectors are "pizzing" fuel rather than atomizing it, the engine will NOT start.. & lately, the pumps & inj's "I've" been getting have the same scenario behind them.. The customer rebuilt the engine, took him about 1 YEAR.!!! & didnt get the P & I tested/rebuilt & wondered why it wont start.. A> by the time I get the pump, the insides are varnished & every moving part is stuck & has to be driven out w/ a brass punch & hammer.. & the injectors are stuck/varnished closed.. & thank their lucky stars that the pump DIDNT pump fuel.. or else the pressure from the inj. pump woulda backed up in the lines & seized the very expensive head & rotor.. & that brings me to my next point.. U said it pumped fuel & now u say it doesnt.. U may very well have seized the pump..??

  10. #10IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-05-29 11:09

    @thepumpguysc I already have the pump sent to a pump guy, waiting for a reply from him. I will love to ask, is there anything else i should take note of or check before the pump gets back.

  11. #11IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-05-29 11:47
  12. #12Tinkerer2020-06-13 19:33

    Yes, Buy a NEW set of OEM injectors as thepumpguysc suggested.

  13. #13IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-06-16 15:47

    alright, thanks

  14. #14IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-07-09 09:45

    pls i need help troubleshooting how water seeps into my john deere generator engine block from the radiator. I've just overhauled it. i don't know what I'm missing out

  15. #15IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-07-09 09:47

    pls i need help troubleshooting how water seeps into my john deere generator engine block from the radiator. I've just overhauled it. i don't know what I'm missing out

  16. #16MarshallPowerGen2020-07-09 12:29

    "Water" in the oil, or in the cylinders?

  17. #17IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-07-09 18:51

    water in the oil

  18. #18BigWrench552020-07-09 19:01

    Either from the engine oil cooler or from the vulute for the water pump on the timing cover. Is this engine mostly rtv and no gaskets but the head gasket and valve cover gasket?

  19. #19mg23612020-07-10 05:40

    Did the engine have coolant in the oil before the repair? Has the engine been started? Did the coolant get into the oil without running the engine? Do you have oil in your cooling system? Engine oil cooler issues will put oil into the cooling system. But since it easy to access I would still check it. The timing cover and the water pump on that engine have no coolant connection through the cover to oil unless your water pump failed and ate through the cover or your cover is cracked at the water pump outlet area. Another possibility is a freeze plug just above the camshaft on the front of the block under the timing plate. I think (if I recall correctly) that plug seals a coolant passage. So that leaves either a liner o-ring getting cut on assembly or possibly a damaged head gasket.

  20. #20Tinkerer2020-07-10 11:23

    I sent him a PM, alerting him that he has help available. I know that generates an email to him from HEF.

  21. #21IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-07-10 20:43

    thanks guy, i really appreciate your help. i will follow your advice,check the engine and get back to you

  22. #22IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-07-10 20:44

    t thanks so much

  23. #23IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI2020-07-10 21:01

    no the engine has no coolant in the oil before repair. the engine runs fine and coolant gets into the oil without running the engine. there's no oil in the cooling system