New to the forum, I have been reading it for about a month now and finding some very valuable information. I have a 955L, 1972 S#85J. 3304 Eng. The unit will be in forward or reverse motion and the shifting lever will slip into neutral and lock up in neutral. Let the unit set and add trans oil and unit operates fine. dip-stick gauge will read different levels as if trans oil is going somewere, but no leaks as far as I can see. Can anyone on FORUM help. Thanks
The transmission level should be check when the transmission is angaged
hector gemme, thank you for your reply, what my unit is doing is, I will be using the unit and working it, and in it will just stop and transmission lever will go to the neutral position on its own and you cannot get it in forward or reverse it locks up in neutral, Then if you add transmission fluid and let it cool off it will work again.
Todd, your trans has a spring to force the shifter into neutral when pump pressure is low. This is to prevent you starting in gear and running over something. I suspect your machine is transfering oil from the trans into the steering clutch and bevel gear case. When your trans gets low on oil it looses pressure and goes out of gear. If this is your problem come on back. Later Bob
If memory serve's me right, both dipsticks are under the seat for the tranny/bevel gearcase. Bob is right on the money with the transmission forcing itself to neutral on low/no oil.
Bob/Ont, thanks for your reply, what you described in your last posting is the exact problem I'm having with the transmission Its locking up in neutral, running great for 45 mins are so then locks up.
granpa, thanks for the reply. Yes both dip-sticks are together under the righthand side of the set.it seem I can check one and it will be full and check the other and it will be over filled. then I check them later it will be the opposite. Its like the oil is switching tanks. thanks for your help.
From reading other threads about this problem, I believe the trans and steering pump are mounted together on the same shaft. The oil gets transfered from one to the other through leaking pump seals.
Yes and if the steering pump suction screen(beside the suction pipe) gets clogged it transfers faster. Later Bob
Thanks 2 all replys, next step check suction screen, and then pump seals.are the pump seals a big job, or can a farm boy with a bucket full of good tools handle it? AND would there be any thing else 2 check in diagnosing this trans. thanks
Todd, get some old garage sale wrenches in 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 and 3/4" that you can, heat bend and cut to get around stuff. If screen is clogged it likely means doing brake bands in the future but no need to hurry. If you clean the screen get all oil levels right and work it for a bit, might be all you need now. Later Bob
Thanks Bob, Plan on working on suction screen and oil levels SATURDAY, weather man said 55 or so. but after saturday may be 2 cold 2 run the old GIRL,there talking 9 degrees or so.May have 2 wait a while 2 try her out.I will get back 2 the FORUM with any progress ! Any other suggestions am all EARS. And I have a bucket full of "HEAT, BEND and MANUFACTURED on the farm" wrenches,great TIP.they do work realy good in tight places.THANKS!!!!
Not to hijack.... I have a 955K. Where is the suction screen? I have replaced the filter, but don't know where the trans screen is. I know where the bevel gearcase whatever screen is. Thanks Wags
I belive the trans screen and magnet housing is encased right next 2 the trans filter encasement,under the left side of operators seat,at least it is on my 955L.
Bob/Ont, Thanks for INFO on scution screen. Removed screen and I have never seen a screen this stoped up! Try 2 take PICs to let everone see, inside the screen was completely filled.You cannot even see any sun light thru screen at all. replacing screen & filter.Hope this helps TRANS!!!ATTACH]98758[/ATTACH]
The black stuff is brake band material,,, I see some paint and some unrecognizable material also... It appears to have not been serviced in many a moon. If your a lucky fella(an Im not) that will fix your problem.
Grandpa,Thanks for looking at the SCREEN, Will I need 2 remove the fule tank,HYD tank and batt-box, to replace break bands,Iam going 2 replace them as long as I am in there. Dont want 2 wish I had after all is put back in place. Thanks 4 INFO!!!!
Todd, I think you can replace them without removing all those items.... do you have the brake housing cover off?
]Grandpa, Thanks 4 reply. here is a pic of were Iam at.
So, I assume the rectangel 6 bolt covers provide access to the bands?? At top and bottom of pic. And... the upper right, the filter for the trans? Is the trans screen in front of the filter (to the right in the pic)? And your hose is hooked to the bevel gearcase filter pressure port? Wags
Grandpa, you r correct,looking at pic
wagspe208, bands r under 6 bolt plates .yes thats were Iam at with this.
Todd, I'm a little lost here. What did you have to take off to get that last picture? That looks like the area under the seat of my 955L but that's where my batteries are. Is the picture of the clogged screen part of the magnetic filter and where is that located on your machine? I have a door on the left side of my machine with 2 canisters inside that look similar to the round one in your pic that Wags was asking about. I think the canisters inside of my door are the magnetic filters. I'm just wondering if I have more filters under the floor like I'm seeing in your pic.
OldandWorn,This is the veiw direc under the seat.
OldandWorn, This pic under set, Front of loder unit to right of pic.
Thanks for the nice pic. I hope cleaning the screen fixes your problem.
OldandWorn, Did u say your batteries R under your set,what unit do U have?My batteries R on the left side under arme rest. thur access door on outside of unit.
I also have a 955L but it sounds like they switched some things around on the later years, mine is a 1979. Batteries under the seat and some filters and dip sticks where your batteries are.
Oldandworn,Heres a pic of my units batteries location.
I have a 955K and my batteries aree also on the left side... open the cover. Flip the seat up and it looks like the one in the pics. Suction screen... in pic... Is there another cover where the line runs in? No wonder I could not find it. Mine is also pretty grubby, so the line is covered up. Wags
wagspe208,What cover are you looking for? suction screen for steering clutch lubrication system?or somethign else, what could you not find?
Gosh... It has been a while and I forgot. I think the steering clutch bevel gearcase suction screen. The trans screen is right next to the trans filter.... right? Thanks Wags
YES, on my unit it is .right next to the TRANS filter housing.
Wag, you must be looking for the steering pump suction screen that Todd just pulled out. Check his pic pointing to the front of the back deck beside gthe suction line. Later Bob
Bob/Ont, got all filters & screen to replace in unit ,will complete this weekend. Weather permitting and creek don't rise. We'll start on break bands & clutches next project. Like you said lots of pics! Can't have too many always good references to go back to.
Yup, that is it. Thanks. I will be on this project about the same time Todd is. Hopefully he will be ahead of me. HAHA Wags
wagspe208, Going to try to get started as soon as possible, only two things making it slow going low temperatures, and low funds. I'm hoping both will get higher very quickly. I'll post any pics I have and any info. I'm going to try to restore my unit as far as the funds will allow, and right now that's finding all the good deals on parts I can get. But for me I love doing it so that's a big part of it. With the advice and knowledge the group has on the forum, I think that it will make it a lot easier. Good advice and information is worth its weight in gold. And when you've got some of these guys on here that have done this before and can give you little tips and tricks of the trade that's what it takes to get it done when you don't do this everyday.
Follow up on TRANS ,replaced all filters and cleaned and or replaced SCREENS. TRANS operating very smooth, goes into all 3 gears F/R with no trouble. SUCTION SCREEN was the trouble. THANKS for INFO!!!!!
Yea for you on this. Now on to those bands! Wags
wagspe208, I guess we can put this THREAD to bed, and like U say get on with the break bands. I have some other things going on with the old girl {955**,working on all of them as I go. Main thing is PARTS, find them at a good deal then get them delivered. I have some LEAKS to repair also, but the Break Bands are at the top of the list. Slow going when this is not your everday job!
Get your brakes done?
Old and worn,Thank you for the reply about the brakes, brakes along with steering clutches are working very good.New issue is with front idler yoke, moving up & down on the frame. Thats for a new THREAD. I will start. Thanks
The idlers moving up and down is not a difficult fix... wear strips are worn out,,, if worn too far you might have to do a little welding and grinding to fix things up.... I would post some picture's, but have never mastered the posting of picture's gig.... the old saying holds true " you can't teach an old dog new tricks" ..... Grandpa.
Grandpa, thank you for reply! My trouble also with the front idler and yolk, is that the track adjusting mechanism will not hold grease. I need to rebuild or repack this mechanism. When the yoke lifts about an inch off the slide rail, you can see and feel the loose shimms. I just wonder if this is because the adjusting mechanism needs repair. You pump grease in and the track starts to tighten up, but then will only go so far and will start to loosen up even while you're pumping grease into it. Hopefully as you said may be a fairly easy fix,Thank you for any suggestions!
Todd, I think the loose idler has caused trouble inside the track adjuster cyl. You need to split the track, take the idler out of the frame and replace the wear strips( 1/4 X 1" steel ) Buy them they are harder than hot rolled. Then adjust with shims. Look for dammage inside the cyl. Later Bob
What bob said plus, pull the adjuster ram out of the housing... will be some O-rings on it,, replace them and also inspect the bore for pitting and such...
To all who have replied to [Trouble With Transmission 955l] transmission completed. Thanks to all for help and Support, Starting new {thread** on the front idler and tract adjusting mechanism. So there is no confusion if someone is just joining in.
The bill's in the mail......lmao!!!
O