Stanadyne DB2-831-6278 that's used on the military hmmwv's that went through complete rebuild. It has the 6.5L GM 8 cylinder that apparently was very common back in the day. Engine looks "new" as paper labels are still attached in a lot of areas with no oil stains so I'm pretty sure it's truly a low hour motor that just sat for a long time. I did my trick of bypassing the tank/fuel filter using a garden pump sprayer to push fuel directly into the IP at around 15-20psi but still nothing coming out of loosened injector lines. Removing the IP cover showed a sticky residue that prevented the governor and metering valve to move freely. I verified fuel cutoff solenoid works. No broken bits of broken flex ring, just a light coating of tar-like residue that easily washed off with carb cleaner. I cleaned everything out, made sure the governor moved free, and refilled with a witch's brew of MMO/ATF/diesel to let it soak for a bit. My gut is telling me I have stuck pistons but my question is how much fuel should be overflowing out of the IP outlet valve when cranking? Even with the check valve completely removed, I'm getting barely a dribble of flow out the top. I thought there is supposed to be decent flow. With the DB2 being such a widely used IP, there is some good knowledge here on tips/tricks.
I think a dribble is normal. She should fire if the lines and nozzles are bled. How about the glow plug circuit? They don’t hardly ever start unless the glow plugs are all working. May have to tow it till’ the water boils. That’s what Peepaw used to say.
I was watching the Barret Jackson auction a few years ago and was horrified and shocked they actually showed how little they know about diesel engines. Had a combat used Humvee from the Gulf War that wouldn't start. It might have been signed by some soldiers but can't remember. Very desireable for a collector. The idiots were spraying a constant stream of ether into the air intake trying to get it started. About 15-20 seconds the first try and they didn't show when it actually started so likely even more ether. I was waiting for the BIG BOOM. I think anybody bidding on it should have been informed of how incompetent they were with diesels and the engine may have some new (serious) issues.
Check your prvt conversations..
When I see ether cans in a machine with glow plugs I get real worried about the previous owner's treatment of the machine. Sure there are tricks like not removing the glow plug fuse, disconnecting harnesses, etc. but the fact the ether can, or worse multiple empty cans, always raises my "that ain't good" gut feeling.
I didn't test the glow plugs for a few reasons. I could see the voltage meter fluctuate back and forth during the wait to start cycle (HMMWVs auto-cycle the gps on/off) which I figured was gp current. I'm central Texas with temps in the mid 90's the days I was fidgeting with it. And lastly, even with the injector lines loosen up at the injectors, I had not a single drop come out of any during cranking so I knew it wasn't even getting fuel. That's when I decided to pop the top of the IP and I found all the crud inside. I never knew diesel would deposit that much gunk. I knew gasoline would break down and leave varnish-like stuff, but I was surprised diesel would do same. Sounds like your PeePaw would have gotten along great with my mom's side of the family. I remember when my dad bought his first truck with an automatic transmission (a mid-70s Ford F250 Camper Special with the 351 Cleveland). A big step up from his Ford F100 Ranger with three on the tree. The F250 was used but in great shape and it came with a beautiful camper in the back. We took it to the farm for one family gathering to show it off. The first thing out of my grandfather's mouth was "How do you push start it with an auto? Should have gotten a manual." And all my uncles just laughed. I wish my dad never sold his Ranger. And to his dying day, he wished the same thing.