We are moving a large industrial machine i pieces that is said to weigh 55,000lbs. I know just getting it all on a 53ft flatbed will be a challenge but I am curious if we need to request anything special to handle this weight? I know special means expensive so I am trying to figure out if we can go up with a gooseneck and share some of the load.
It depends on what the tractor and trailer weighs empty. It can only gross 80,000 lbs as a general rule. If you are running it on interstates, particularly crossing state lines, you should count on being limited to that if the load can be divided up. If it is an indivisible load, any 5 axle truck should be able to get a permit to haul it. All the trucks I've had could haul that with no permit just fine, but there are some heavy sleeper cab rigs out there. Just make the trucking company aware that you need a truck that weighs 25,000 or less and you should be fine.
Ah, the fact that it is divisible means 80K will be max and cannot apply for an overweight permit? Will a 25,000lb truck be a hard find? Is that an Aluminum trailer? I will have to go spot the load and determine if we can even fit it on one trailer. I am not yet sure. There is a LOT of it but if we drag a gooseneck up there, it gets expensive since a pickup really does not get much better MPG than a semi when loaded.
The curb weight of most trucks is under 20,000 lbs, so it shouldn't be a problem. When you say hard to get on a 53' trailer is that because of width or length? Some places will rent an extendable aluminum gooseneck - perfect for weight and length.
That under 20,000 lbs is the tractor, don't forget the trailer counts, too.
what specific type of machine are you trying to move?