Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Truck Crane History

Hank R ยท 2018-10-09 16:20

In Sept/Oct issue of Wheels of time there is a 8 page story about cranes mounted on trucks from The worlds first truck build crane. Built by Universal Crane Company in 1919 on a Mack AC truck. A nice restored 1966 American 4450.

Replies26
  1. #1Hank R2018-10-09 16:33

    Just seeing if I did this right. [ATTACH=full

  2. #2Hank R2018-10-09 17:52
  3. #3Hank R2018-10-09 22:22
  4. #4Tugger22018-10-09 23:20

    Now theres a crane !

  5. #5Hank R2018-10-10 14:10
  6. #6Hank R2018-10-10 14:13

    Sorry for the same picture twice.

  7. #7Tugger22018-10-10 21:20

    Heres a Michigan . Just a picture i came across.

  8. #8crane operator2018-10-10 22:40

    Thanks for the pictures Hank

  9. #9kenh2018-10-11 01:21

    The Michigan is sandbox size

  10. #10Hank R2018-10-11 21:44

    Hi Tugger, I have sales literature from 1997 American Crane. A 100-HC Hydraulic Crawler Crane and 1500-HC, 500 series crawler, 900 series Crawler, 900 seriew Guy Derrick, 900 Series Sky Horse Counterbalancing, 900 Series Tower crane, 1100 Series Sky Horse 1100 Series Crawler Model 11320 450 ton, and 11320 the 6-IN-1 Machine. Pm me you are interested as we be there in your neck of the woods week of 22.

  11. #11crane operator2018-10-11 22:05

    1997 would be the last of "american"- before terex bought them.

  12. #12Tugger22018-10-11 22:44

    Hi Hank Yes id be interested in that literature.I cant seem to figure out how to send a Pm in here anymore.

  13. #13Hank R2018-10-11 22:52

    No Problem we will be just down the road at Gran kids will call you then, guess might as well through in some Manitowoc stuff as well.

  14. #14Tugger22018-10-12 09:17

    Thanks Hank . I have an interesting small oil barrel About 2' high with a handle on top in exchange ,if you are ok with that.

  15. #15Hank R2018-10-12 14:31

    Tugger it is for free to you. I am off to Kelowna as my friend Doug is running his steam shovel on the weekend so will try try for better pictures if you like.

  16. #16td25c2018-10-12 18:47

    Love the steam shovel ! Amazing what they could accomplish back then with steam power . Crane installing 4' water main in the early 1890's Louisville, KY . From what I can tell from the photos it rolled on rails on top wood cribbing . http://www.louisvillewater.com/newsroom/story-behind-historic-water-main

  17. #17Hank R2018-10-12 19:21

    If I remember correct the Marion has a 3/4 yd bucket might seem small but the heck out of a hand shovel. Steam power is so quiet and smooth, A couple years ago I helped on his Steam tractor and I loved it pulled a 8 bottom plow. Steering sucks on the old steamers 12 or so spins of the wheel to get the chain to move the front wheels.

  18. #18td25c2018-10-12 21:52

    Marion shovel equipped for Maritime operations .

  19. #19td25c2018-10-12 22:01

    Thank God Hoss & Little Joe did not have a Marion shovel as there would not be a tree left standing on the Ponderosa .

  20. #20Tugger22018-10-12 23:55

    The Marion looks pretty cool. More pictures or a video would be great Hank.

  21. #21kenh2018-10-12 23:58

    Stream at tractor/sled pulls:

  22. #22Hank R2018-10-13 00:27

    Tugger will take a video for sure and some pictures should be a fun play day tomorrow .

  23. #23Hank R2018-10-14 12:45

    Tugger I got a video of the Marion shovel but do not know how so I will have to ask Doug latter this week.

  24. #24Hank R2018-10-14 19:46

    Here is one more picture

  25. #25renovator2018-10-15 19:34

    I've watched some steam tractors on YouTube. The torque from a steam engine is incredible.

  26. #26Max872018-10-23 14:07

    Pretty cool thread. Ive been a field technician for 5 years working on truck mounted cranes, its interesting to see where it all started.