Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Truck just got stolen! Please help find it

BrianHay ยท 2008-03-24 06:03

Someone just stole my truck! It's a 1996 Ford ext cab short box 4x4 Diesel. 4 inch suspension lift, 35 inch BFG mud terrains, red fuel tank and fifth wheel hitch, no tail gate. It was stolen in Nanaimo my number is (250) 668-0288

Replies56
  1. #1tonka2008-03-24 06:42

    Good luck finding it Brian, dam thieving bastards...:Banghead lets just hope it was some kids out for a joy ride...

  2. #2BrianHay2008-03-24 06:50

    Just what we need starting out eh :Banghead Not just loosing the truck that hurts...all our tools, parts books for the machine....keys :Banghead :Banghead

  3. #3rino14942008-03-24 06:52

    That sucks Brian. I hope it turns up in 1 piece.

  4. #4RollOver Pete2008-03-24 13:48

    Those bastards! I went through the same thing as you Brian in 2006. My truck was never found but I did find the people who were involved in taking what was mine. With no help from the local city or county police, I decided to take matters in my own hands. My only mistake was allowing these dirt bags to live. Now I am the one with a criminal record. I now know that had the police done their job or had I FINISHED the job, I wouldn't be dealing with all of the crap that I've brought upon myself. You see, a dead man cant talk. Shame on me.... Sorry for your loss, hope your truck is recovered... And I pray that you or anyone reading this never has to go through what I'm going through. Moral of the story: Do a job, you had better to it right. Here's the 03 I once had...

  5. #5BrianHay2008-03-24 14:31

    Damn, that's a nice truck Pete. I almost got the b*****d. I heard the truck start, ran out as he was backing out of the driveway and was about 10 feet away when he got it into gear and took off. Probably best I didn't catch him though. I'm sure there would have been some serious blood shed and I would be in trouble right now too. Hopefully it was just someone going for a joyride and they ditched it when they were done...

  6. #6BrianHay2008-03-24 14:47

    Just tossing this out there you never know. Obviously I need a new truck, anyone on the island have some excavating they need done and a truck they would like to trade to get it done? I'm pondering what to do now, hard to run an excavating biz with no truck. I need another right away. So ether I pay cash for a cheap beater to get us through...or see if we can get some financing for another.

  7. #7CascadeScaper2008-03-24 15:11

    Man that really sucks. From now on, every vehicle I own gets a top of the line alarm system in it. Thieves can take anything, but I figure an alarm system that shuts down the fuel pump and ignition relay when I arm it is probably a good deterrent 99% of the time.

  8. #8vandamn2008-03-24 15:24

    Brian , Its just a thought but you might want to get someone to take you down to the ferry terminal with a picture of the truck , I would say theres a really good chance they will try to take it to the lower mainland for a joy ride . If the guys on the ferry know what theyre doing they'll wait till the truck boards and then arrest them once the ferry has sailed so they have no where to run . Good luck I would call both terminals Nanaimo and Victoria

  9. #9vandamn2008-03-24 15:27

    If at all possible bring a picture with you to the ferry terminal . The island is not a really big place so I really have a feeling they will try to bring it to the mainland and the ferry is the only way they can leave the island with your truck .

  10. #10DigDug2008-03-24 18:36

    Sorry i cant help, but i feel for ya. Good luck bud. Buy a $300. beater car if you have to, start turning things around today. When the going gets tough the tough get going.

  11. #11stretch2008-03-25 15:26

    Hey, the cops will most likely catch them even if it takes a year...probably shorter since you live on an island. A friend of ours had his trailer, loaded with carpentry tools, hardware, and compressors, stolen right off the jobsite. The cops finally caught the culprits a few months ago and returned the trailer (unfortunately, the tools were all sold or given away), along with our Jacuzzi tub off the same site. So don't give up hope, just tell the police and others to keep an eye out for your truck, and hope that it'll be returned sometime soon. Might be somewhat emptier than it was before, but they're just too lazy to go work for a living and so they'll sell off the tools and stuff just to make a few extra bucks at your expense.

  12. #12BrianHay2008-03-25 15:58

    That's a good thought vandamn, good to get every possible scenario covered. I dunno if they would drive it around much though, it really stands out in traffic. This is a hard lesson learned, our next vehicle will be a little harder to steal that's for sure.

  13. #13JD40202008-03-25 16:06

    I didnt read all the posts, but good luck getting it back. We have a car thats been stolen and recovered 3 (yes THREE) times. So there is hope.

  14. #14Deere96702008-03-25 16:17

    Got me a brand new bike when I was 10. It had all the bells and whistles on it and my parents dropped alot of money on it. Well some "kind person" decided to break in our garage and steal it! PUNKS!! So anyway about 2 weeks later my dad is taking the trash out and sees the punk nieghbor coming down the street on my bike. The kid sees my dad and starts pedaling his ass of so that he can get away, but he dident get too far because my dad stayed right on his ass. Long story short, I got my bike back and that kid went home with a headache(he was luckey to even go home)!! Hope the P.O.S. that stole your truck is dumb enough to do what this kid did! Yep, I have had alot of stuff stolen from me and its a shame because you work for everything that you own and some ass comes and steals it from ya!

  15. #15[-Agent-]2008-03-25 17:56

    God, Im glad I live in a small city. I did have some kids bust out one of the windows on the 320 once. I was pissed. Never did find out but I saw them the other day about to do it but my dog ran down there... Nice truck it is the same one I want. Did you see what they looked like?

  16. #16dayexco2008-03-25 20:33

    most of us are 1000's of miles away...what would you like us to do?

  17. #17BrianHay2008-03-25 21:06

    Don't think there is anything you can do Day. But I'm sure there are at least a few people that visit HEF from my area and all it would take is one to spot it.

  18. #18T_S_S2008-03-25 22:45

    Good luck finding it bryan, i wish you all the best in finding it. The thieves will get whats coming to them wether it be them getting shot in the knee caps or getting busted.

  19. #19DirtHauler2008-03-25 23:19

    Lo-jack is something you might consider on any vehical that has much more value to you or your company than insurance can possibly cover. Also Keep an eye on creigs list and ebay for the tires wheels, tools, or anything else of value. I hear stories all the time of people catching thiefs selling their stuff online. Good luck and glad no one was hurt.

  20. #20CascadeScaper2008-03-26 02:12

    Didn't think about that, good call about Craigslist. Keep an eye for various parts/pieces that might have come off the truck, or the truck itself. Most people are smart enough to not try and sell a hot vehicle, but you never know. I'd say keep an eye out for the diesel tank, maybe your wheels and tires as mentioned.

  21. #21wrenchbender2008-03-30 16:03

    Any news yet Brian?

  22. #22BrianHay2008-03-30 16:50

    It was spotted a couple of nights ago so they may still be driving it....hard to believe anyone could be that dumb eh, not like it blends into traffic well. Insurance is covering a rental for us so at least we have some wheels. My new 'work truck' is an 07 Hyundai Accent We could have got a truck but I don't have any tools or anything to pack around anymore anyways :Banghead and the car cost half as much so we can keep it longer.

  23. #23BLASZER2008-03-30 19:56

    A couple years ago, The owner of a good size construction co. had his pickup stolen....Not too hard to miss the license plate was the owners last name....One of the ten wheeler drivers pulled up behind it on one of the main roads and called for the owner on the 2 way radio to ask when he got his truck back.........It wasnt returned yet and was being driven by the thieves who were soon caught....Justice DOES happen.......Sometimes!

  24. #24ZAXIS2008-03-30 21:23

    Brianhay, I know I am a long way from you, but keep us posted-you never know where it might end up- you have a family here that will help keep an eye out for you. Hopefully you will get her back soon. Sincerely, ZAXIS

  25. #25zhkent2008-03-30 23:55

    Good luck getting your truck back Brian.

  26. #26BrianHay2008-04-01 14:36

    Thanks for all the support guy's, very much appreciated.

  27. #27BrianHay2008-04-06 00:48

    Found! Just got a call from the RCMP. They found our truck a WEEK ago in an inaccessible area and didn't want to call until they recovered it....they never thought to call us to recover it? A business that offers extreme terrain access solutions! Brilliant....oh and it is thrashed. Haven't seen it yet but when I do I will post some pics.

  28. #28RollOver Pete2008-04-06 00:50

    Bitter-sweet. Hope they find the scumb bags responsible for this.

  29. #29BrianHay2008-04-06 01:00

    Cops say they have nothing. Windows were open in the rain so prints are not readable?

  30. #30RollOver Pete2008-04-06 01:24

    A very wise edit.:beatsme Just remember my story and be careful. Trust no one...tell no one....

  31. #31tonka2008-04-06 07:10

    Um glad they found it Brian, hope its not in to bad a shape...

  32. #32wrenchbender2008-04-06 18:58

    Glad you're getting it back, just wish they(idiot thieves) could've have been in it when the cops found it.

  33. #33JDOFMEMI2008-04-07 00:45

    If there is a shred of luck, you will still have some tools and parts. Hopefully Karma catches up to to scumbags responsible

  34. #34BrianHay2008-04-07 02:22

    I went and had a look at her today. Didn't have my camera with me though. I will take pictures tomorrow....it's thrashed Windows smashed, dented up they took the stereo and speakers and ripped the dash and door panels apart getting them. Took the rad and alternator and made a mess in the process. 4x4 the the hell out of it, bent up..everything in the front end....it's a write off. Only thing left was the keys to our machine. They must not have figured out what they were for. I had another set of keys in there (about 4 different keys) I doubt they know what they have and I don't want to elaborate on that but I'm sure you guys know what I'm getting at....Take some extra precautions if you are anywhere near me.

  35. #35Squizzy246B2008-04-07 03:53

    Break your heart... Surely the cops could lift some prints off it somewhere if they tried....not that thats going to help you much.

  36. #36stretch2008-04-07 17:29

    :crying :cussing :guns :idontgetit :soapbox :jerry That really sucks...hope you get a nice new truck with all the goodies. And maybe they'll catch the dirty rotten...I won't say it.

  37. #37dayexco2008-04-07 19:42

    glad you had insurance. now go out and get a truck equivalent to what you insured it for!!! i always thought victims of rape/theft should be allowed to serve justice. hobble/handcuff the perp...give the victim a bat, let them decide how severe the punishment

  38. #38RUXEL2008-04-07 20:03

    Stolen.Truck Sorry to hear of your loss,,,,,,,I will keep my open In eastern Canada Ruxel

  39. #39BrianHay2008-04-07 20:27

    Got some pictures. Insurance is sending out someone to appraise it. I would have thought they could get prints to but they say they can't....doubt they even tried. I sure am glad we don't cheep out on our insurance coverage. Everything we have and every part of our business is covered with the max we can buy for liability and loss. It cost a lot but sure is worth it at times like this.

  40. #40bobcat ron2008-04-07 20:30

    Why didn't those idiots just torch it? There's nothing much left, might as well just burn it!

  41. #41BrianHay2008-04-07 20:31

    A few more.

  42. #42Squizzy246B2008-04-07 20:46

    Brian, I hope I'm not pre-empting any problems for you; but it sounds like you are on top of your insurance. Many people just don't pay attention until its too late. A builder I know recently had his truck stolen and smashed up. He had just put a new Hiab crane on ($20k), had the dump body blasted and painted and done a whole lot of maintenance. He did not update his insurance policy. It was an old truck but in very good condition. His policy was market value...so they paid out $17k after depreciation. I can tell you that in the current market here he would not be able to buy an equivalent 2nd hand dump truck for less than $50k....not including a 2.5 tonne Hiab crane. I have agreed value on all my policies. Good Luck with it all.

  43. #43bushcat2008-04-07 23:07

    Hey Brian, maybe you should do a little investigating yourself and check the local pawn shops for your stereo and speakers and the scrap dealers for the rad and alt, as I'm sure the local police are toooo busy. You never know what might turn up. Having a out of province plate doesn't help as they think you are just there for a short time and won't be around to recognize your property.Years ago I had a harley stole in Hongcouver and the cops didn't do a damn thing just said its a common occurance. Those B**tard theives. I feel for you man!

  44. #44humboldt deere2008-04-08 00:38

    Dang they stripped that thing.

  45. #45bobcat ron2008-04-08 09:01

    They stripped the rads for the price of scrap non-ferrous metals.

  46. #46BrianHay2008-04-14 12:34

    No new news on our truck yet but we went to an auction on Saturday and got another. I think we got a great deal. 1990 F-350 runs great and with the exception of the front drivers fender (rusted) the body is in good shape too. $850 was my bid, lil over 1000 after tax and auction fees.

  47. #47wrenchbender2008-04-14 13:11

    Looks like its in decent shape and @ a killer price, congrats!

  48. #48BrianHay2008-04-14 14:24

    Thanks wrenchbender. I got a nice surprise when I looked under the sheet of plywood that in the box too. Hidden gooseneck hitch! So all I have to do is get an adapter and it's ready to pull our fifth wheel.

  49. #49637slayer2008-04-14 14:37

    sounds like a great deal,glad to hear you posting some good news.

  50. #50BrianHay2008-04-14 14:55

    For sure eh, I haven't been posting a lot of good news lately. Saturday felt like Christmas to me lol Got home from the auction and my bro in law stopped in for a visit. I have been working on a website for him and he went out and bought me a really nice tool kit to say thanks....wasn't expecting anything in return, that made my day. Have a good start to replacing my tools that got stolen now too.

  51. #51DigDug2008-04-14 18:45

    Hey good to you. Glad you found a truck and sounds like you have good family.

  52. #52stretch2008-04-15 17:48

    Looks almost exactly like my dad's old '87 F-150 Custom...good ol' Big Red!!! That's a keeper!!!

  53. #53bagged932008-04-15 21:07

    wow that a awsome truck for the price for that truck, what auction did you go to. Its gettin ridiculous the amount of cars gettin stollen in bc, I have got 2 stollen in 3 years. this time i bought a imobolizer

  54. #54BrianHay2008-04-18 14:40

    This is were we got it http://jeffersonsauctioneering.com/ They have an auction every Saturday and have ICBC on site to get your plates and insurance right there. We got the final answer from insurance, they wrote it off. The payout wasn't what it was worth to replace but they let us buy it back for $620 so we are happy with that. It has lots of parts left on it (many new, I just did a bunch of work into to it) that will fit the new truck.

  55. #55JDOFMEMI2008-04-18 15:13

    At least you seem to have kept a pretty good attitude about the whole thing. Life gave you lemons, so at least you can make lemonade out of it. Hows the hoe business? Good luck

  56. #56BrianHay2008-04-18 15:54

    Business is slooowww. But it is early spring still so I remain optimistic. I have a few things I'm working on that are looking really good, hopefully they come together. I kind of strayed from our original plan of making Alberta home base. That makes things a little harder. In Alberta I'm well connected, but here on Vancouver Island I don't know anyone except the people I have met this winter. That makes for quite a challenge. I'm unknown, business is brand new and the machine is next to unheard of. I'm sure having Alberta plates on the truck (BC plates on the new one) didn't help much ether even though I have gotten a good reception on almost every job site I have stopped in at. I'm loving the challenge, that was a large part of my motivation to go for it (get into business). I was bored in my career and not happy anymore. I have met some really good contacts here interested in working with us and we are slowly starting to get known and build up some great references from happy customers...I think things will pick up soon.