Loading sidedump with my Komatsu 290-11. Just running one truck, takes about 5 minutes to load. What I did on Saturday was set the auto-shutdown to 5 minutes and just let it do it's thing. I have 80 loads to haul. 5 minutes per load is almost 7 hours of idle time, IF I continue like this. Also, as an added bonus, it's only about 20°F so engine has cooled down quite a bit in the hour it takes me to make a round. So, first question. How long would you guys let it run before throttling up to load? Currently, I turn off the auto-idle, and after I start it, I bump it up to probably 1400, wait about 30 seconds, start making the first bucket, after I dump it I throttle up to probably 1600, make two more, then give'r. Next, shut-down. Takes about 5 minutes to load. Temp gauge is usually about 2/3 way up to normal spot, so not hot by any means. Can't set the auto-shutdown any less than 5 minutes. Is one minute enough? 2? What say you guys.
I say yes on how you are warming it up and yes on the 1 minute shutdown. It is really is not that warm. If you were hogging in the summer for 20 minutes yes, a longer cooldown but it's cool out, all the fluids are cooler, and a minute will chill the turbo down enough in those cold conditions. Just my opinion but what you are doing sounds good. It's not like cresting the pass with a loaded truck and glowing exhaust manifold, and heading down the hill with no boost on it. All the head heat is right there for the turbo and manifold to even all out.
I'd just let it stay running. Have worked plenty of jobs that we didn't shut anything off after firing up.
Get neighbor or son in law to drive truck. You stay in the machine with it idling and nap between loads. Everyone's happy!