Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Truck mounted gravel screen??

LeakyBoot ยท 2008-01-24 10:43

Any experience with the screen people used to mount over the bed on small trucks to screen creek gravel? I have a couple local ads out to try to find one for my old off road Ford. I have half a mile of creek but it's hard to find a gravel bar without a few big rocks in it. With the price increases at the quarry I think it might be worthy to try to recover some of my own gravel before it washes on down the creek. It would be just as good as anything for a base stone on new drives where people don't care if it's white or brown. There might be a market for the bigger stuff for filling in holes or something. LB

Replies3
  1. #1tuney4432008-01-25 07:41

    I actually saw what you're talking about going up to the Allagash River in Maine this past summer on our scout canoe trip.I saw a very simple A frame design,fairly steep over some 10 wheelers.Seems like it would work fine.Got to ask you though--You can mine in a moving body of water in Missouri? If I did this by my creek at my shop,if I got caught,I would immediately be arrested,minimum $15K fine,possible jail time,and a felony record on my name.

  2. #2LeakyBoot2008-01-26 10:07

    Gravel My creek is seasonal and goes dry on a regular basis. But even in streams with water gravel is removed by going thru the process of permitting. I think they have a rule on tons yearly and if your under a certain amount it's easier to get a permit. I'm sure NY would be much more strict on rules.

  3. #3tuney4432008-01-26 15:48

    You think? How about ANY kind of machine just getting started,say 1 yard---spells felony.This does NOT include the siltation you just created from your mining activity.I actually have an island on my creek frontage that has thousands of yards of gorgeous bank run stone, and in summer the island becomes a peninsula hooked to my land.If it was removed,the water would move better and not become a trap as easily for all sorts of debris, including whole huge trees from upstream. 20 years ago,the previous owner mined out 5,000 yards to build up where my iron sits today{about 300' away}.He got a slap on the wrist fine of $500.Unreal.