Hello, I am a small contractor that owns several pieces of smaller equipment. I have a 335 Bobcat excavator and a 773G skid steer. We usually move our equipment one piece at a time using a F250 and trailer. We have an older dump truck that is in need of replacing. We also have a tri-axle eager beaver trailer that we could fit both pieces of equipment on and move in one fell swoop. The 335 weighs 9,170 lbs, the 773 weighs 5,808 lbs, and the trailer weighs 4,600 lbs. That gives me a total trailer load of 19,578 lbs. I am considering an F750 (used). It seems that you can get 30,000 GVWC with hydraulic brakes or 33,000 lbs GVWC with air brakes. I assumed the truck would weigh about 11,000 lbs empty. Therefore I would probably just make it with the hydraulic brakes or be under with the air brakes. This is the first time buying a truck this size for us. I am very unfamiliar with all the options out there. Our situation would be that the truck could be used often for one week, then sit for weeks on end until we use it again. We would basically be moving our equipment from job site to job site and occasionally hauling loads of soil or stone. Therefore we are definitely looking for a used truck in the $25,000 range. What are you thoughts on the F750 (1995 through 2005) for this set up. One other thing to consider, we may be getting a cat 953 (or something similar) in the future. That looks to be about 30,000 lbs. I don't think we would move it around tons, but could happen. Should I be considering a truck large enough to handle that also? We definitely do not run a truck enough to justify a tri-axle. Plus the truck would need to be able to be loaded by the skid steer and mini-x, so it can't be too big. My initial thoughts are to get a truck the proper size to use with the smaller equipment and deal with moving the 953 later by paying someone to move it when needed. Thoughts?
in many states, legally operating a pickup and/or a trailer combo exceeding 26,000 pounds may require a commercial driver’s license (CDL). The Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999 definition of a motor carrier of property (MCP) includes trucks with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds or any motor vehicle when used to transport any property for hire, including courier services. http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/cdl-license-to-tow/ So you have your CDL? (For hire) Ready for all the insurance and permits required?
We are fully prepared to get our CDL for this. Myself and my main operator employee are capable of getting it.
F750 would barely get the job done - They can be hard to locate with a good drivetrain. I would recommend an LN 8000 or 9000 Air brakes are easier to live with and work better. Not sure what vehicle inspection go on there - But if you can stay 1994 and below you will avoid the electronic engines. An old mechanical diesel engine is usually easy to live with.
Alot of guys had good luck with F750s but i wouldnt buy one with Hyd brakes because of the bad parkbrake set up. Iike has already been said air brakes and no computer is the worth alot.
Welcome to the Forums DeweyDiablo!:drinkup What stuck out in your post is the truck would work for a week and then sit for weeks on end. If that is the case I wouldn't consider purchasing anything. I have a 953C, D5G, 321D, 533E, 420D and T250. The only piece of iron I move myself is the T250, I hire moving all the rest out as well as all my dump trucking. I found it's much cheaper and less of a headache to do it this way. No tags, insurance or upkeep on a truck which can be a wild card. I know what my trucking costs will be when I place a bid - that's one of the biggest benefits. When I sign those trucks out at the end of the day or move a piece of equipment, I know exactly what I just spent and I have no more financial liability until I call them again. We're on projects for a while, sometimes months, so mobilization isn't that big of an issue and that plays heavy in my business decision, it may or may not be the same situation for you.
All that said CM , that business plan works for you for one reason.... your contracted carrier shows up on time. Most of the iron I own is because when I need it, I need it. You should take your carrier out for dinner from time to time.
I never said they show up on time gramps.:cool2 But it's a small price to pay.
CM that would never work here if word got out you didnt have control over moveing you wouldnt get any work thats just how people think and every guy that could move you is in the same line of work.
Well I guess I'm fortunate to be where I am.
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the LN8000 and LN9000. Couple of questions. How is loading one of those with a skid steer. I have a 773. I cannot seem to find any specifications for those trucks. What is the difference between the 8000 and 9000. I agree that paying to move a 953 if, and when, we get one will work best for me. So at this point I will just be looking to find the optimal truck to pull our trailer with the mini-x and skid steer on it.
If you are not going cross country you might consider a short wheel base, single axle, maybe cabover. You get air brakes, decent power, and the ability to get into tight spots. Think about one of those rigs that was used to haul dual or triple 20+ ft cargo boxes.
The 9000 is a heavier version of the 8000. The 9000 is usually a retired hiway tractor with bigger power train, heavier frame/axles with the same body. Normally for single axle 8000 FA Capacity 10,000 lbs RA Capacity 22,700 lbs search for one equipped as a working truck not one set up for highway and/or fuel mileage. A truck like this http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5577369 could drag your stuff to the site then service them while waiting for the next drag