Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

truck questions looking for advice

wrc ยท 2015-12-25 21:59

I am in the market for a new to me dump. I want a tandem I think but if the right deal was to slap me in the face on a single I would consider it. I need to be able to tow 35000lbs on a trailer behind the rig on a limited basis. mostly the truck will be used to move a 16000 lb backhoe and a 18 to 20000lb excavator. as well as haul concrete rubble away the concrete will be approximate 8" peices i will break up alley pavement with a jack hammer then haul gravel and dirt into my jobs. am I right in thinking tandem? also I found one I like that has an aluminum barrel bed never seen one before in my life and don't think it will stand up to hauling concrete, what do you all think? I would like a truck with a 14 or 15 ft steel barrel bed but probably will get a square due to money. any general advice on truck and beds as well as size are welcome and would be greatly appreciated.

Replies1
  1. #1oceanobob2015-12-26 07:41

    Did you consider the backhoe and the excavator could each be moved one at a time on the typical 20 ton tandem axle dual 17.5 wheel air brake tag trailer. And, perhaps due to the concrete removal, you could consider a roll off unit? Seen the demo folks put a hitch on the rails...they put a machine in a box and winch it up on the rails, then hook up trailer with another machine and off they go to the job. They prolly could haul gravel but they usually hire it out. They only seem to like the demo: probably to keep income flowing for those piece$ of equipment.