Hi I just joined this forum Seema there is a lot of info here. I've been working on trucks for around 15 years. Took a job working on trash trucks and I just transferred into the land fill working on yellow iron. The company just gave me a 95 f super duty with a 10 foot bed. It doesn't have any drawers any ideas on how to set up tools I do a lot of pm work thanks.
Hi Paco . I might just wheel in to Rural King in Ashland to see what they have in stock . https://www.ruralking.com/ashland-ky Flat bed can be pretty handy with the rite tool box for the job . https://www.ruralking.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Truck+tool+box
Tho old girls got a service bed but man is it rough I'll try to post pics
I've seen a lot of guys just measure the inside of one of the cabinets, and then install a craftsman/ harbor freight/ snap on chest type box inside the service bed box. If you can find a older box off craigslist that still has the friction slides, not roller bearings, it will hold up better to the bouncing up and down the road, the rollers beat themselves to death. Plus if the truck is setting a little unlevel, the rollers tend to want to all slide open when the box is unlocked. One of the older craftsman boxes that isn't very deep (18") will probably fit the best, a lot of the newer boxes are deeper (24-29") and they probably won't fit. You can buy the drawers that the custom builders use inside the boxes, separate, but its really expensive. You probably aren't going to want to spend that on a company truck, unless the company is buying. Lately around here I've been seeing a lot of the rental house mechanics with just a snap on road chest with the cage, sitting in the back of their service bed. I don't know if that's so they can easily switch trucks, or switch jobs, without having to empty a truck of their personal tools. (be prepared if you're buying new- they're like $2,500- but built heavier for truck use than their standard boxes). I always thought one of the triangle Montezuma style boxes would be nice to work out of mounted to a flatbed, you could see everything in its place. The first picture is crewchief888's toolbox, mounted inside a service box. He's a member here, and I'm sure he's got his money's worth out of this box. Second is a snap on road chest, last is a triangle style. The road chest or triangle style in the bed, makes it hard to put anything big in the back of the truck- tire, transmission, cylinders or anything. I think the triangle style you could pull the lid off and install it inside a box. The snap on road chest would be too big to mount in a box. http://www.800toolbox.com/truck_storage_drawers/truck_drawers
You'd be amazed what you can cram into a 26" top box when you need to. I've been running a junk Waterloo top box the last few years doing Gensets. It's torn the drawer latching hooks out of the back, and exploded the ball bearing slides out a few times, but has just barely held together (running up fire roads doing mountaintop cell towers). Combo wrenches live in rolls (haven't worked on hydraulics for a while, so no jumbo angle wrenches or crowfoots anymore). Larger prybars, cheater pipe, pipe wrenches, power tools, boxed stuff, etc. in the service body boxes. Daily use stuff in CLC bags, oil change stuff in a bucket. An older box with friction slides will last if you're on bumpy terrain, road chest all the better. The Montezuma triangle boxes are really great. Picked up a John Deere branded 30" one used for cheap, but sold it since I could only fit a 26" behind the wheel well in my personal pickup. Sorry, don't have a ton of pictures available at the moment, just some older stuff to show how much you can cram in one of these.
Thanks crane operator. I got board last night, family was at the in-laws so went to the shop and started cleaning out the first box behind cab, and started welding. I keep all my impact sockets on a lock a socket tray from snap on I made a shelf to hold it at a angle in the top of box. Kind of like a triangle box I found some old parts drawer sets to mount be side that. Got all my smaller wrenches pliers screew drivers test lights and such. Bellow that made a shelf to hold my impacts larger wrenches pry bars. I took an old craftsman Dropbox from my building at home took the lid off mounted it under the shelf I think it's going to work out pretty good I'm going to do the next door back for oil samples filter wrenches filter cutters every thing I use for services
Marshall power gen u are right those little boxes hold a lot of stuff!
I'll get some pics tomorrow morning thanks guys.
Randy88 made a bunch of drawers and boxes in his service truck, they are down about 15 posts or so in the shop talk forum under service truck bodies. He has pictures of the drawers and slides he built. HeavyEquipmentForums
Check out Shop N Box
Craigslist could be your new go to for older don't give a damn boxes, buy them cheap some with cheap disposable tools for those odd times just need any wrench or need to bend a Custom wrench.
Just need to pack them tight enough to where nothing moves, haha. I think I paid like $35 for the box new, so I just overloaded it to see how far it would make it. It's been far from ideal, but it's worked for the last 3 service trucks I've been in. Looking forward to pictures of your setup.
You need bigger hammers, I do not see a large enough one for those Stubborn machine days!!!
They've been on the list, but I can't recall a time I've needed a sledge since I switched over to Gensets. Depending on if I stick with them or go into a shop setting doing a bit of everything again, I'll be playing tool catch up.