Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hey……….Lets play “what REALLY happened?!”

Vetech63 · 2018-12-13 07:12

OK...…………………..GO!

Replies70
  1. #1Nige2018-12-13 07:18

    I'll take "What broke..?" for $1000 please Alex ...........

  2. #2Hobbytime2018-12-13 07:59

    someone let the clutch go a wee bit fast....whats the ring gear off of?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-12-13 08:07

    What is>Jammin gears like a truck driver, Alex..

  4. #4Junkyard2018-12-13 08:26

    I’m gonna say spinning in slippery crap and then immediately finding good traction thus creating shock load. In the heavy haul world I’ve seen shock load from missing gears do massive damage too. Ring gear bolts and holes look ok for the most part so I’m guessing they stayed tight until it came uncorked.

  5. #5Shimmy12018-12-13 09:29

    Brakes were froze and the driver kept popping the clutch until things let go?

  6. #6DMiller2018-12-13 09:54

    I'm a leanin on the Shock Load side myself, unless he was doing 80 and a ring bolt just happened to fall into the gearing. ZOWIE!! What series Spicer is it? and *** is it out of?

  7. #7crane operator2018-12-13 10:17

    I pulled a third member out two years ago, and 1/2 the bolts were laying in the bottom of the housing, so I'm going with broken or walked loose bolts holding the gear to the carrier, and one of the bolts hung up in the gear breaking the tooth. He had to hit it pretty hard to break the gear though. And he might just drive like I do- theres always that possibility.

  8. #8John C.2018-12-13 10:19

    It looks to me like a bolt or two came loose. Or was the ring gear riveted in place.

  9. #9crane operator2018-12-13 10:25

    While we're talking about abuse, I heard somewhere of someone using their creeper as a cart for rolling third members out from underneath trucks, anyone else heard that rumor?

  10. #10GregsHD2018-12-13 10:58

    Improperly torqued ring gear bolts?looking at the sealant it may have not been in service very long before failure?

  11. #11Vetech632018-12-13 16:02

    I forgot to say, This is not a job I personally am doing. The story I got from the guy that removed it was the truck was stuck and they used another truck to attempt to pull it free. The ring gear is NOT riveted, its bolted. This truck was bought used by the customer and supposedly this diff only has around 25000 miles since replaced. The damage is so bad that it is difficult to determine a cause. I was asked what could cause this...……….which is why we are playing...………."What REALLY happened!?" I'm liking everything I am seeing so far...………..your guess is as good as mine at this point.

  12. #12Vetech632018-12-13 16:07

    oh, and this is a rear diff assembly from a Freightliner dump truck with a pony axle. I would have thought the driveline would have twisted up before that ring gear broke.

  13. #13joe--h2018-12-13 16:31

    What happened? Nothing good. Nothing cheap. Joe H

  14. #14Mother Deuce2018-12-13 17:00

    I am going with high speed spinning tire and ... wel,l lets flip the interlock in and the power divider held.

  15. #15Tags2018-12-13 18:09

    I'll go with "that's the way it was when I came back from lunch"....

  16. #16Old Doug2018-12-13 18:48

    New driver or farm hand i see this stuff all the time.It cost around $3000.00 for every new driver if he tears up less than $ 1500.00 in his first year he is a keeper.

  17. #17kshansen2018-12-13 19:23

    Sounds like the place I worked! At the quarry where I ended up working after high school before I worked there they had a stocking truck driver who every time he took a day off and they put someone else in his truck the clutch would fail. He would bitch about so-in-so wrecking the clutch. Well after that happened a couple times someone got smart. Might have been my dad's idea as he did do some of the wrenching work back in those days. One day this driver called in sick. Foreman said, "No one touch that truck!" Sure enough driver shows up next day and after first trip to stock pile he's bitching about someone burning up the clutch in his truck! Then they broke the news to him that no one so much as touched the truck. Not sure if it helped improve his driving but at least he didn't pull that one again!

  18. #18funwithfuel2018-12-13 19:37

    I'd be curious what the dog clutch looks like on the power divider. That and the splines on the through shaft. I would also want to put a dial on the carrier. It has to be tweaked. Plus I'll bet those thrust washers in the diff are smashed paper thin , if not cracked

  19. #19RZucker2018-12-13 19:40

    I don't know about that, but I had a jackass bar one out and let it drop on the concrete, that was his second strike.

  20. #20petepilot2018-12-13 20:16

    to this i say yes once` probably would not get it back under

  21. #21Hoshaft2018-12-13 21:16

    I'm going with shock load, we took 3 rear ends out during sugarbeet harvest this year. All the parts that came back fit inside a coffee can, the destruction was that bad.

  22. #22funwithfuel2018-12-13 21:21

    Wait a few, I gotta consult with Google

  23. #23AzIron2018-12-13 22:29

    I am going on the interlock while spinning especially on a dump truck Seen that a time or two they dont limp very far

  24. #24sfrs42018-12-14 04:03

    i'll go with incorrectly set up diff from new/refurb not enough or too much backlash causing small shock loads or constant pressure for the last 2500 miles since it has been put in, eventually causing spectacular failure

  25. #25funwithfuel2018-12-14 06:24

    The third image shows the tooth shaved off the ring from the heel out, the damage to the neighboring tooth says it had a lot of momentum. So, I'm thinking he had the diff lock in, was spinning while the other guy was tugging him out. As stated before, sudden traction in a high speed spin, bringing everything to a sudden stop leads to catastrophic failure. The image of the carrier shows the one screw and hole accumulating material opposite direction of travel, unless it grenaded in reverse, shock load. Set up looks good from images. No undue wear on heel or toe, top of tooth doesn't look sharp. He should a just let the other guy pull him out.

  26. #26Vetech632018-12-14 06:47

    So far...…………..EVERYONE IS A WINNER!!!!!!!!!

  27. #27funwithfuel2018-12-14 07:16

    I are a winnuh

  28. #28Junkyard2018-12-14 07:22

    Have we gotten to participation trophies on here? Lol smh

  29. #29thepumpguysc2018-12-14 08:22

    Its funny u mentioned "STUCK".. That's what happened to my Bronco when I was PULLING another stuck truck out 4 wheelin.. Jam it in low, spin the tires, jam it in reverse, spin the tires, jam it in low.. on & on till sumpin went "CLUNK"..

  30. #30Birken Vogt2018-12-14 10:53

    I am sure all you guys know this but I have been stuck so many times I will relate my own personal thoughts 1. Spinning breaks traction so you have less force to move you forward (the trouble is you don't know how much traction you have until it spins) and also slicks off the surface 2. Spinning digs you deeper in the mud (occasionally may clear away loose material but this is rare and spinning needs to be stopped to hook up to the ground again) 3. Spinning tires no longer prevent the truck from sliding laterally into worse mud, a telephone pole or whatever 4. As possibly shown in this thread, the energy available when spinning is much greater to break stuff.

  31. #31Trashman2018-12-14 12:47

    Somebody pushed the loaded truck with a frontend loader while it was parked and in reverse?

  32. #32DARO2018-12-14 12:50

    What yellow button? I didnt push no button...... Ture story.

  33. #33Mother Deuce2018-12-14 18:07

    Found myself staring at the posterior of a bulldog most of the day today. Could not get the image of that ring out of my head. I had to go get somebody else to drive the truck at noon for a bit just in case!

  34. #34funwithfuel2018-12-14 18:16

    Well you know why they put the bulldog facing forward don't you that's so two a-holes can stare at each other

  35. #35RZucker2018-12-14 18:37

    Knew a guy in the 80's that drove a fancy Dodge with the Ram hood ornament, walked out of the shop and he was sitting in the pickup on his phone and noticed the ram had been turned around facing the cab. Gave the ram a flick as I walked by, he leaned out and said "You know why the ram is backward?" I said "Yeah, so you see two azzholes looking at the pickup". He said "Touche"

  36. #36Vetech632018-12-18 07:36

    I stopped by there yesterday...……….to find the entire rear diff pulled out from under the truck. The guy doing the work said he didn't notice that part of the ring gear got wedged between the carrier and the rear housing and cracked the housing. I will get pics of that today I hope.

  37. #37DMiller2018-12-18 08:10

    Oopsie!! Must’ve made one helluva BANG!!!

  38. #38kshansen2018-12-18 09:18

    Naw, didn't hear a thing just started and let it warm up a bit and put in low and eased out clutch at idle and truck never moved! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Must have happened when Fred drove it last!

  39. #39DMiller2018-12-18 20:49

    I'm of the thinkin' that the screeching from the tires and roar of the engine was enough to drown out the EXPLOSION that rocked that third member!!! The sudden jolt from that sudden snag I do believe got someone's attention and would be CAREFULLY looking in the Driver seat/cab floor for brown stains.

  40. #40rondig2018-12-19 00:00

    I really like this game....it doesnt use my currency...but im going with spinning wheel power divider

  41. #41thepumpguysc2018-12-19 04:45

    When mine let go, all I felt was a very noticeable "jolt" like someone hit the brakes for a spit second..

  42. #42Vetech632018-12-19 07:21

    Pics of the diff housing

  43. #43Vetech632018-12-19 07:26

    Ok, now that I have seen the housing, it doesn't seem that serious of an issue to me. The "hump" on the housing you are seeing is just a bit bigger than a quarter, and you can see a small crack on the last pic where the paint is gone...….the crack is maybe 5/8 inch long. Now...……………..I am NO truck guy, but if this was a piece of heavy equipment, I personally would have reused this housing with some clean up and a small weld. SO...……….you truck repair guys, is there some government regulation that would prevent my type or repair for this? ……...or have I just been around equipment too long and don't know **** about trucks? LOL

  44. #44AzIron2018-12-19 07:33

    I have welded much larger cracks on manure trucks and never had a problem

  45. #45Junkyard2018-12-19 07:55

    I don’t see any reason it can’t be repaired, especially in that location.

  46. #46Vetech632018-12-19 08:04

    Guys, I want you to know that the mechanic doing this job is a "know it all". I asked him why he was replacing the housing yesterday and his reply was "Its cracked! Look right here!" You should have seen the look on his face when I said "Dude, that's nothing!" , while his boss was standing there with us. If looks could kill...…………………. Oh well, its their money wasted in my opinion. Unless someone can prove there is some law against I see no reason this couldnt have been repaired in 15 minutes and reused. They have a used housing coming at the moment for $1500.00 and a hell of a lot more labor.

  47. #47funwithfuel2018-12-19 08:32

    Heat it , beat it, seal it with a weld. Good to go. As long as the carrier cap ears still fit snugly , no problem. Obviously the carrier came out, so it's not bound up.

  48. #48DMiller2018-12-19 10:16
  49. #49DMiller2018-12-19 10:17

    Nice grenade!!

  50. #50DMiller2018-12-19 13:21

    Used to have a welder come to yard at quarry, cut off burnt spindles and weld back a replacement, this would have been nothing!!

  51. #51Delmer2018-12-19 15:56

    So they're going to put a new ring gear on that differential and put that back into a different housing? Does that seem backwards to anybody else? I'd prefer to get a used (non grenaded) differential to put into that housing.

  52. #52funwithfuel2018-12-19 16:02

    Did anyone open up the differential and inspect the spider gears? How about the diff lock on the number two Axel did anyone check the sliding dog clutch. That Carrier showed that it had been damaged when the Ring gear let go that was shown clearly in one of the 1st 3 pictures They're going to go ahead and use that failed part though and replace a part that could be salvaged. I really wish that I could see things from other people's point of view sometimes

  53. #53Vetech632018-12-19 16:05

    No.....they have a rebuilt diff sitting there. They are replacing the diff housing ( axle housing if you will) with a used one. I found out today that the guy doing the repair is a hell of a welder. He used to do pipeline welding so I am told. I would have thought someone like that would have looked at the housing as a super easy repair. He told me today "When I see a crack, I replace it.....no questions asked." Seems to be a very black or white thinking individual.

  54. #54Vetech632018-12-19 16:08

    LMAO...……….come on, that's too in depth for this guy. He is only repairing what he can see with his own eyes. I believe I know what's happened to a few of their trucks now...….when I see the transmission out of the same truck...…………….several times. Get my drift?

  55. #55funwithfuel2018-12-19 16:09

    Quality drivers quality technicians ROFLMMFBO

  56. #56Birken Vogt2018-12-19 16:12

    We got cracks all over around where the leafs met the axle tubes and when the leaks got unbearable would have the shop across the way weld them back up. Never a problem as far as I know. I have talked to other companies that did the same thing. Seems that would be a higher stress area than where that chunk made its dent, never seen one break there on its own so I would have welded it there also.

  57. #57Vetech632018-12-19 16:18

    Oh....its great entertainment! He had pulled a front spindle off a Freightliner about 6 months ago and I happened to show up to work on their wheel loader. He was installing a brand new spindle while I was there. Come lunch time, the shop emptied...……..so I walked over and picked up the old spindle, didn't see a dam thing wrong with it. When he got back from lunch his boss was with him...…...so I walked over and asked why they replaced the spindle? He proceeded to show me that the new oil seal would not fit on the old spindle, but it would on the new one. I pointed out that the old spindle had a speedy sleeve on it and if you took it off it would fit. I watched as he removed the speedy sleeve to find a perfect surface...……...and the seal fit. The boss shook his head, started laughing, and walked off. I wasn't trying to throw him under the bus, but I guess I did unintentionally.

  58. #5892U 34062018-12-19 17:30

    Some people just love to throw parts at stuff.

  59. #59AzIron2018-12-19 19:22

    You know what I think is hilarious is I know outfits that would take that cracked housing ignore the crack rebuild it completely and roll with it they would call the crack a BREATHER

  60. #60crane operator2018-12-19 22:33

    Just because a guy was a pipeline welder, doesn't mean he's great at everything, or even very many things. . I used to know a guy we called "underwater welder". He was always going on and on about all the certs he had - but when it actually came to fixing anything, or to build something without a "fitter" or drawings and someone else to cut all the pieces, he was lost. He could pass tests all day long, but I think he was the only one impressed with his welding certificates.

  61. #61RZucker2018-12-19 22:46

    I think he worked for me a few years ago too. Sumbeesh could run rod, but couldn't cut a piece of pipe to make a simple 45 degree elbow. He didn't last long.

  62. #62crane operator2018-12-19 22:56

    I think it takes a certain type of person, to be able to run rod all day long on a piece of 24" pipe that's 1 1/2" wall. I set a bunch of steam pipe in a powerhouse and at a natural gas storage facility, and I about lost my mind just holding it in place for them, I couldn't imagine running that bead all day long. I don't mind building something, or patching something together, but I don't have the patience or the ability to concentrate that hard on that bead for hour after hour after hour.

  63. #63Birken Vogt2018-12-19 23:06

    I just thought how ironic it was that a welder did not want to work on something "because it was cracked". Around here, that is some welders' sole occupation it seems, repairing things that are cracked.

  64. #64RZucker2018-12-20 00:16

    7 years ago I did an irrigation job with 3,000 feet of 42" .541 wall pipe and 2.5 miles of 24" 3/8" wall pipe. It was around 3.5 hours with 2 guys and 3/16" 6010 to fill a joint on the 42" stuff. And I was one of the guys. Three of us would rotate on the welds so I could crane the next joint into place. When we got to the 24" pipe I had 4 welders working 2 joints at a time (one was me) and a guy on the excavator setting pipe for us. We threw down a bunch of pipe in 60 days. I think we were busting out 14-15 joints of 24" per day.

  65. #65_Weldman_2018-12-20 00:23

    Grinder and paint will make me the welder I ain't...

  66. #66RZucker2018-12-20 00:29

    One of the supers I worked for many years back asked "are you a welder or a grinder?" Told him "I'm a welder, don't grind my signature off"

  67. #67_Weldman_2018-12-20 00:48

    No capping off with 7018

  68. #68RZucker2018-12-20 00:56

    Nope, all downhill 6010. 185ish amps with 5/32" root, 5/32 hot pass, and fill 'er up with 3/16" at 195-205 amps depending how hot things were getting.

  69. #69Howey752018-12-20 01:38

    I thought it was pretty common for rearends to develop a crack and seep oil in that exact spot.ive seen some welded and welded a couple myself with no problems yet.

  70. #70Welder Dave2018-12-20 02:24

    Pipeline by hand is predominately downhand XX10 rods ran really hot! I worked in a few vessel shops. The better shops had welders weld and fitters and steel fabricators cut and fit pieces. The most valuable guys in the shop were the welders who were also good fitters and could fit there own pipe and read piping blueprints. I worked with a few of these guys and they made fitting look easy, it isn't. I also worked in some oilfield shops. One in particular a guy thought he was the worlds greatest fitter because he could fit one piece at time in place to run piping for a mud tank. Another guy there who ran his own rig, was a really good fitter, and said the guy couldn't look at a piping blueprint with 4 pieces and fit them on a bench. I knew this to be so true having worked as an apprentice welder at one of the big vessel shops. They could look at the print and fit 90% of the pieces allowing for expansion and contraction to get the right finished length. Once in place only a few welds had to be done in position. The worlds greatest would have been totally lost. I was never fortunate enough to get to work a lot with fitters. I did do a lot of cutting of pieces and got pretty good with a torch though. People would comment on my cutting and then ask why I always cleaned the tip before I started. Duh! I worked for a cheap employer who didn't have a shape cutter and had to cut triangle hinges out of 3/8" and 1/2" flat bar using a cardboard template, tack 3 of them together, drill the hole and then grind them all the same. Grinding 1 1/2" thick steel isn't fun so I got pretty good at accurate cutting. Here's my tip when following a soapstone line, don't cut down the middle of the line or your piece will be too short. Cut on the outside or inside (when cutting a hole) of the line so you get the right size.