Tying it to the forum... Did anyone catch the video at the Trump Rally where it appears that one of the shots hit the tractor holding a speaker stack in the sky? I just saw it quickly and I'm not sure if I can find it again, but I think it was cell phone footage from reasonably far away, and you can see what I assume is hydraulic oil spraying out of the top of the machine and next thing you can see 20 feet (or so) of speaker is sitting on the ground.
Make sense to me. I saw the spray in the video and the boom was retracting very fast. I was wondering why but the bullet strike is the most logical theory.
Is this it. https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1813570682829107224
Is this the clip? https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1813570682829107224
What's worse is that the machines there on rental are crime scene detained. I'll see if I can find the rental income loss article.
That wasn't video I saw, but yep. To make a bad day worse- I wonder if anyone was in the path of that spray?
I did read about a LEO that took a hydraulic bath. That was an impressive display of fluid power.
reminded me of a stick line that blew on a 320 I was operating, it sent out a fine mist just as Amtrak rolled by at 60 miles an hour. I am positive it fogged the engine windows.
Made it hard for them to steer eh ?
At least the oil would have been cold, hot not so good.
Yeah Tones, it catches fire pretty easily too, doesn't it?
Not unless it was well used or different hydraulic than I use. When I purged my hydraulics last winter I ended up with 7 gallons of brown soup and 15 gallons of almost brand new hydraulic oil that had just a little water in it but was starting to separate. My brother tried putting them in the 3 waste oil burners at work and it plugged all 3 up. Then he tried lighting it on fire, wouldn’t burn. Seems there is something in the Tractor Supply Premium that doesn’t allow it to burn until it is well used. What they put in I’m not sure but it actually says non flammable on the pails.
Interesting! I've got to imagine coming out as a fine mist behaves a little differently but I'm not sure, especially if it claims non-flammable.
Most telehandlers I've seen have counterbalance valves to prevent cylinders from retracting like that. Round must've either pierced the cylinder barrel or clipped the tube between the barrel and the counterbalance valves.
looks like it punched through the cylinder!
92U I was surprised it came down so quickly! It didn't look like it slammed to the ground but lucky again no one was under it.
Pretty good reminder to not put your faith in hydraulics and use safety stands/supports with how quickly it retracted.
Some times we have to trust it. Like riding up and down on a forklift or bucket lift.
That's a bit different than standing or laying under a suspended boom or implement though.
This was circulated on a facebook group I am in for equipment mechanics. Guy claimed he was a tech for the rental company. I haven't verified its legit, but looks plausable I guess. Round right into the barrel
Bubba shot the juke box last night. He hit right where he was aimin!
What group?
Why shoot a hydraulic ram? Cos we want some steel wool bro.
Really atomized that fluid well
It was one of the service truck groups I saw it in. I am in several. Don't recall what one.
In A slowed down view of the incident it looks like the machine was hit by 4-5 bullets.
5.56 is an excelllent penetrator.
New oil doesn’t burn very well. I’ve given away many drums of expired lube oil when I was in the lube biz and everyone says it simply does not burn in a heater. It has to be diluted heavily. I think it’s the glycol content. New lube oil has a lot of glycol in it.
My brother was not very happy that he had all 3 waste burners crap out and he had to fix them. I remember as a young man watching a hydraulic press catch on fire and it was very flammable. I would have gotten blown up, if a friend hadn’t pulled me out of the pit. I had run down in the pit with 2 big fire extinguishers and had it out. Then it started to flash and I got ripped out by my shoulders.