My Deutz-Fahr Dx-6.05 is allegedly a 4.70 with a 6 cylinder engine, 6.05 doesn't figure in the operating manual (they call it Instruction-Book). The only documentation I have specifies one oil for engine, transmission, and hydraulics: API-CD(MIL-L-46152) OR API-CD*(MIL-L-2104C) *= "bindingly specified for dx-4.70, etc." 1 What's the difference between 46152 & 2104C? 2 If I read it correctly the latter one is mandatory for my machine but what is that in common parlance? 20w30?
1. Spec bears no relation to viscosity. An oil meeting a particular spec from “manufacturer A” might be available in two or more different viscosities. 2. The common factor in both lines of your post is the API CD specification. I doubt if oil meeting that spec will still be available (it dates from the 1970s) but maybe oil meeting the CD-spec replacement (CF-4 or CG-4) is still being sold. If you want to find more information try Googling “MIL spec 46152 (or 2104C)”. You might get a clearer idea of what the differences are by the results that pop up. REAL Services Analytical Almanac: military_specifications_for_engine_oils.html
Really cute, 3 steps of "obsoletes" ending in 2104F which "currently, no API Category fully meets" I heard an urban legend that IF it's a dedicated reservoir then its a different oil. My 1987 Cat-426 thrives on NAPA 10w30 in both engine and hydraulics all year round. This tractor being a 1991 can't be all that different technology so I'm tempted to use the same oil and in its transmission as well ..that's a single 5 gallon pail instead of 5 to keep track of!.
In my experience MIL specs aren’t worth the paper they’re written on.
Especially, old specs. Same with old API specs.
I ended up filling the tranny with Rotella 15w40, one of the options in a Dx-6.05 French language Op-Manual @ $130cad/pail, and hydraulics with NAPA general hydraulic/tranny/differential oil, seemingly a bit thinner @ $160cad/pail. Pretty sure I could use 15w40 for both.
Is it an auto or manual?
all strictly manual