Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trying to source a new or used (but working) Torque Motor

THE BIRD · 2023-06-01 21:57

My 2000 Thomas 135S has an issue with its left side torque motor. Its power is very minimal, which makes operating it a real pain. Havent had much luck locating a torque motor online much of anywhere. Im considering rebuilding it but my expertise isn't there for that sort of task. Any suggestions or clues as to where I could source one 2000 Thomas 135S Left side Torque Motor model #: A912/T1352

Replies8
  1. #1Dutchboy2023-06-02 05:19

    I don't know where in New York you are but I can recommend this company. Empire Hydraulics & machine, 13428 Victory Lane, Adams Center NY 13606 315-284-4012

  2. #2THE BIRD2023-06-02 06:28

    Thanks Dutch, I'll try to reach out to them and see what they can do!

  3. #3alrman2023-06-03 01:29

    Changing the drive motor on it's own, is not a good idea on a skid steer loader. If there is any metal wear in the motor, the pump will be in the same condition. So, if you fit a new motor to a worn pump, the worn pump will send metal contamination to the new motor - rendering it useless in a short matter of operating time. You really need to do some pressure tests to figure what your problem is. Testing charge pressure with no load & then engaging drive & seeing if there is a pressure drop is a preliminary test as is measuring drive motor leakage when under load.

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-06-05 23:30

    It's possibly an Eaton (Char Lynn) torque motor. At least that's what earlier Thomas's used. I agree with doing some checking to try and determine why it's weak. Best to have a shop experienced with the brand of motor take it apart to determine the damage if you can't find anything through other testing. It might cost 2 to $300 but will determine if there could be contamination in the system and also if it's worth rebuilding. Often times it isn't. I've had good luck so far with a replacement motor for my T133 from Loader Parts Source. Awhile ago another member on here posted about having terrible service from them but some of it was his own fault because he disassembled a component when they clearly state not to. All I can do is state that I got a drive motor from them for about $800 cheaper than ordering through Thomas and they had it in stock. It was a 6000 series Eaton motor. Another hyd. shop that is an Eaton distributor said ordering a new motor could take 6 to 8 month's. They said it would cost $285 to disassemble my motor and inspect it but generally the motors aren't worth rebuilding. Mine was leaking into the chain case. The other motor had already been replaced for the same reason and it was shot so I looked online and found LPS had one in stock. I think it's a reverse engineered motor but so far is working just as good as the original.

  5. #5tory612023-09-16 13:59

    You were lucky I bought a brake pump from loader parts source for $2300 and it didn’t work right out of the box was told by Pete to send back for full refund but as soon as they received it he changed his story to need to send back to the manufacturer and it would take 8-10 weeks. Was told it was a new pump but I doubt it seeing crappy paint job and missing I’d tag.When I asked Pete for the manufacturers name he wouldn’t give it to me.I’m waiting now for them to say it is not warrantable and then charge me for inspection and freight which is what they have done to others.Wish I had checked reviews before I ordered. Everyone please be aware of loader parts source or they will get you too!!

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-09-16 21:22

    It might have been a reverse engineered pump and they didn't want to tell you. I suspect the drive motor I got from them is but I have had no issues with it at all. The old motor was leaking into the chain case. A hyd. shop told me there's usually an internal problem that causes the seals to leak and it's usually cheaper to replace it than to rebuild it. If your pump was bad right out of the box they should replace it or give you a full refund.

  7. #7tory612023-09-17 08:49

    I agree they owe me a full refund for selling me a defective product but they won’t return voicemails or emails.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-09-17 20:53

    Call from a different phone. If they don't respond they probably would if consumer affairs or whatever is in their state contacted them. If they won't replace the defective part or replace it with a proper unit is illegal.