Ok, so long story short I bought an 1845c from my dad about 8 years ago on a verbal agreement and cash. We had a falling out and now he is sueing me to get it back because I don't have anything in writing. He's claiming he never sold it to me and that it was willed to him by his dad, which is not true at all. His dad died in 1996 and my dad bought it used in 2002, also with cash so I can't prove where/when he got it. I think the grey cabs started in 1995 and mine has the grey cab. Are there any other identifying markers like that? The vin plates are not on the machine so I can't use that. Thanks so much.
I seem to remember the vin is also stamped back by 1 of the rear chain case covers, don't remember if it's left or right. Probably need to clean real well to find it. Vin is the best way to figure out the exact year. Brown cabs and split bars were early years. Later are grey cabs and single lap bar. That change was about 95.
Might also see if there are tags on the motor, that might help somewhat.
Thank you. I will check in to that and reply back if I find anything.
Inline injection pump, idler pulley on fan belt indicates newer machine 95 on, older machines had stamped rims, newer had welded rims.
I'm almost certain there is a serial number stamped on the chassis near one of the rear chain case covers.... you may need to slide the cabin to get a good look & give the area a clean.