I am doing a cummins repower on a ford A66 Wheel Loader . while motor is out I would like to check out torque converter, It seemed ok when oil was cold when it warmed up it was weak. Hoping to get it apart with transmission on Machine(just torque converter assembly) can this be done or do I have to remove transmission ? Thanks john
In order to get the torque converter out you will have to disassemble it in the transmission. This can be done with the transmission still in the machine. Was it weak in both high and low? Was reverse also weak? Depending upon what is really wrong you may end up pulling the entire transmission anyway. The suction tube seal at the back of the charge pump is a known issue on these transmissions. I have also seen the suction tubes crack and cause aeration which would lead to low power. Too bad the engine is out and no further testing can be done.
Since live testing isn’t an option, drain the transmission oil and check its condition. With transmission still in the machine, remove the strainer (if possible ) and check for any aluminum debris stuck to it.
Thanks for the reply, I will check that strainer tomorrow. And possibly look at suction tube, once strainer is removed. ..
the loader worked ok when cold ,when it warmed up it got weak. It always showed good pressure on the guage ??