Aloha! I've been looking for a turbocharger for a D6C LGP with the 3306 engine. Now I found those rather cheap aftermarket ones on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpillar...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3baf6bd5&vxp=mtr My question is if anybody has some experience with these and if they can be recommended or if it is better to stay away from them? I know they're cheap but might still be ok quality wise??? Thanks pj
I would say that if you're considering a cheap turbocharger, look at whether your engine has an aftercooler or not. An air-to-water aftercooler acts a a pretty good screen if the thing decides to detonate and it's easy to retrieve the bits. An air-to-air aftercooler does the same job but can't be so easily cleaned. On the other hand if the turbo lets go with no aftercooler you're looking at (potentially) a major engine failure.
You notice they don't show the tag, or state where these are made. I buy turbos from China to replace obsolete turbos for Japanese engines, I'll take the chance when the Japanese OEM says over three grand for a turbo you can hold in your hand. Prices are in the $150 to $200 per piece range, plus freight across the pond of course. So far any failures we've experienced have been limited to bearing/seal failures where they basically puke oil. YMMV.
The internals of a turbocharger are pretty simple. A spinny thing and a couple of bushings and seals. I would take it to a fuel shop and see if its rebuildable first.