Hello. I'm new to the forum and I thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge. I have a mid 1980's Case 850C sn: #7401167 with 7150 hrs. I have been pushing stumps on my property and blew a line on the blade yesterday, so I decided to change out all of the blade lines. I reinstalled and then refilled with hydro oil. I took the blade thru it's 6-way cycle and everything seemed to work fine. I continued to doze for about three hours when I noticed a "hot" smell coming from under the seat. (I had spilled some hydro oil when refilling and just thought it was burning off). Then I noticed that the dozer seemed down on power... (kind of like I was driving with the emergency brake on)... and the blade became sluggish to respond and the blade wouldn't move under load as before. I shut the machine down. When I dismounted, I put my hand on the lift cyldr which was extremely hot. Upon cool down and restart, it conts to have a sluggish blade and builds heat in the front hydrolics quickly. ? do you need to bleed the lines after replacement? ? do I have a clogged filter somewhere? ? did I burn up the pump? What are the correct steps in trouble shooting this problem? Thanks, your assistance is appreciated. cj
Did you fill the hyd tank on the rt hand side after replacing your hoses, or the fill port in the trans with the dip stick ?. Most will bleed themselves after working the levers several times, There is a hyd filter in the tank. Does your parking brake lever work and do you use it? and do you use your brake pedals often ?. How long have you owned your machine and has there been any major repairs since you owned it. How many hours have you put on the machine since you have owned it. This is to help with the trouble shooting.
Yes, I did fill the hydraulic tank on the right hand side, but did not ck the trans at that time. I also did purchase a new inlet filter and plan on installing it this weekend. I understand that there is also a small screen type filter at the inlet pipe that can be cleaned. No, my parking brake has not worked since I've owned the machine. It is frozen in the "off" position. I do use the brake pedals often for tight turns. The masters and slaves were replaced a couple of months ago, although one side needs to be re-bled as the pedal is spongey. The dozer is a new purchase for me, using it to build roads, remove stumps and push out a building site on my property. I've used it about 50 hours. I have been a little concerned with removing stumps with an older machine like mine. It really puts a strain on the engine and hydraulics. I wish it were the "old days" when you could use dynamite. I'm hoping that it is merely the filters. Perhaps I stirred up some debris when I refilled the tank. I plan on draining the tank and cleaning it out in addition to cleaning the screen and cleaning/replacing the intake filters.
I would check the air filter, change the fuel filters along with the glass bowl strainer by the injection pump, tighten the fan belts, blow out/ wash out the rad, check the stop cable to make sure it's returning the shut off lever all the way. remove the lid and check and change the hyd tank strainer and filter. To check the machine the tach should be working. Start engine and run engine full rpm, note rpm. Next hyd stall running full rpm raise the blade and hold it over relief for 5 sec, note the rpm. Next converter stall, place the blade against a stump, machine in high range, high gear, for 5-10 sec full engine speed, note the rpm. Then combined hyd and converter stall, same test but holding the blade in the full lift while pushing against stump, note rpm on tach. This set needs to be done pretty fast to not heat and hurt the converter. The test port for the hyd pressure testing is on the pump line/tube inlet of the control valve. You have to relieve the pressure on the hyd system, unscrew the fitting and install the test hose and gauge. Run the machine at 2000 rpm's and raise the blade until it stops and read the pressure. It should be 1800 psi +100-50 psi. This is just some of the info needed to help you find what is going on. Always be careful while doing these tests due to your parking brake not working/holding and hyd lines can blow and parts can fail. More info if needed, ask away.